DSTV PRICING FOR INSTALL

sprozito

Hey just wanted to find out if someone could verify this for me...

My brother and I decided to have DSTV installed for our parents and we just wanted to check on some pricing. When we called the company that was to come and install they quoted us R1700 , This was to install DSTV Dish , Small Decoder in the lounge(No PVR option or PVR for that matter) in our lounge and then to another small box in our parents room about 16 Meters away.

In the advert online it clearly states that 30meters of line is free but we were still charged an additional R1070 for additionl cable - my bro was told according to the guy doing the install.

How is it possible that even if there was slightly over 30 meters of cable, we were billed an additional R1070 +R1700 install fee and ended up paying R2770 for and install?

Or am I just lost in how expensive things are becoming?

Someone please give me a clue...

Cheers

sprozito

Just wondering if we have to use one or 2 cables to get the signal to our parents room.. At the end of the day we were charged R1070 for cable... They told us was R18 per meter... if I do the math 1070 divide by 18 is = 59.5 Meters extra we being billed on top of the 30 we get free with the install? Nearly 100 Meters for a DSTV install?? Yeah I guess I will ring them back tomorrow!!! That has to be just wrong??

Thanks for the reply anyways pal!

sweet

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Just wondering if we have to use one or 2 cables to get the signal to our parents room.. At the end of the day we were charged R1070 for cable... They told us was R18 per meter... if I do the math 1070 divide by 18 is = 59.5 Meters extra we being billed on top of the 30 we get free with the install? Nearly 100 Meters for a DSTV install?? Yeah I guess I will ring them back tomorrow!!! That has to be just wrong??

Thanks for the reply anyways pal!

sweet

Even R18/m is ludicrous. That is a 1200% markup!

Also... [(2 x distance from dish to first decoder) + (2 x 16)] - 30 = how much cable they should have billed you for @ R2,50/m max.

nic777

Expert Member
What about labour to lay the cable? Is labour quoted separately or lumped together under "cable"?

And how did it take them to install?

sprozito

JUst spoke to my brother again about it, Turns out there is some line item called a "H1 Beat Connector" or could he an "HI Beat Connector"

Line Items on Invoice are as follows :

1x DSTV Extraview Package special - R1700
1x HI beat connection - R350 (Could be H1 Connector or connection - cant make out hand writing)
1x 40meters of extra a cable at R18/Meter - R720

Surely this still cant be right?

The Labour was 1h to 1h30 but definately not longer than 1h30, The advert clearly states 1h30 included in the deal.

Let me know thanks again for the replies!

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
No its not....

R18 per meter is EXCESSIVE beyond belief... I would refuse to pay the invoice until such time as you verify the RETAIL pricing on items and get the invoice adjusted accordingly..

1x40m of cable at say R3 per meter is more in line and that would be R120.....

Was there already DSTV in the house?... the extraview package is for 2 decoders and a link between them.

sprozito

The Problem is my younger brother was home and these okes just slapped him with the invoice and he paid!!! So now I gotta call them and give them some stick tomorrow.

This was a new install of DSTV there was no current singleview in place, but still what a joke i think!

DsBalsak

One thing do dis u pay for the dish or do dstv still have those 500 bucks speci, and did they install a dual lnb ?

I did my own installation and it worked out about

1000 bucks for the decoders
450 for the dual lnb
And 150 bucks for 30 meters of cable at dstv themselves used 60 meters didnt have to install a heartbeat thingy as the decoder does it self

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
They already quoted him R1700 for the whole installation. Then they added R1070 for extra cable...

Here is a worst case scenario breakdown. R599 for decoder + dish installed (some labour subsidised by DStv). R499 for second decoder. R200 for upgrade to twin LNB (they keep the single). R500 for labour. R150 for sundries, like extra cable. So R1948 sounds fare.

sprozito

I wouldnt even know what a Dual Lnb is... But surely when you advertise something you include all the equipment that would be needed for the install.. the Ad states fully installed and conditions are 30 meters cable included with 1h30 labour, also to me the layman - know nothing about these things!- why would they have not been upfront about this... blows my mind, its like me selling a pc without a R500 mouse!

lol

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Their website says that they are accredited. I don't think they are... I'll mention this and the R18/m cable rip-off to the guy who does the accreditation.

booya30

Their website says that they are accredited. I don't think they are... I'll mention this and the R18/m cable rip-off to the guy who does the accreditation.

Could we not get hold of a database of all Accredited Installers and post it and make it a sticky? It would really weed out the chancers.

sprozito

SO i spoke to them today.. what a joke...

I get told the R350 was for the Heart Beat or something.. not sure about that but they were not upfront about it, the other was R720 for 40 meters of cable.. he told me there is 2 lines going to the bedroom so i dunno. never the less tomorrow i am climbing in the roof to measure... I still feel R18 per meter is a joke though!