DSTV: Smart LNB + 2x HD PVR 2P's connection for ExtraView.

I'm trying to connect an extra HD PVR 2P to my existing DSTV "network" for ExtraView, EXACTLY as in the diagram.

I heard that it is possible to do this without using a Heartbeat Cable,(from friends and at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBIehRGAngI&t=4s ) but DSTV Support insists that I do need to install one. And they insist using one of their Installers.

I did the connection (Without the Heartbeat Cable) and I'm getting very good signal on Tuner2 but nothing on Tuner1.

Swopping the cable comming from the LNB render both Tuners to 0%.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
You need the heartbeat cable and you need extra view enabled on your primary smart card.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
You also need to connect lnb cables to all the tuners in all your pvrs.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
(1) Your friends are WRONG! So is most of the youtube rubbish out there! You cannot successfully get the HB working via the LNB cabling when using the older decoders. There are some that claim they have but in every case investigated they were using RF distribution and that is how the HB was getting through. The HB via the LNB cabling is designed for use with the Explora decoders and with the HD single view decoder, NOT for any of the older decoders.

(2) With two HD PVR2P decoders, you have to change the default settings on the one decoder to use different userbands as the two interfere with each other.

Go to the network settings on one of them find the option that allows you to change the userbands and select userband 3, 4 ( or any combination between user 0-7 except that used b the first decoder), with the correct frequencies and both decoders will work. (ONLY works with the HDPVR2P, the Pace decoder IF the sw has been updated to the latest to allow it).

HD PVR2P Primary (best to use userbands 0,1, the defaults)
HD PVR2P Secondary (2,3 or 3,4, or 4,5 or 5,6 or 6,7)

Put back the HB cable!

(3) Make sure both decoders are set to SATCR Universal in the network settings.

(4) Make sure the Primary and secondary decoders are linked in XV -- Contact the MC call centre.

(5) And no you do not need a LNB cable on each of the LNB ports when converting to SATCR/Unicable working, and the LNB cables are connected to the LNB port marked as the SATCR input.

And NO you do not have to use an installer to do this. All you need is patience and work carefully!

Last edited:
THANKS Geoff.D !!!!!!

I'll connect and test. Just take a quick peak at this Diagram to confirm please.

I know The LNB cable goes to "B" (older diagram of mine)

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yes use unicable ports (A, B, C, D). Best to use port A for the Primary decoder and port B for the secondary. keep the termination you take off the LNB.

The problem is BOTH decoders MUST be ON all the time (connected up and powered up and at least working or on standby), as these decoders cannot supply enough power to power the SLNB on their own. the SLNB was designed to be used with the Explora decoders. The PSU in the older decoders are a bit "lig in die broek" on their own.

The HB these days can run between any for the RF ports, it depends on what you want to do with the RF signal if anything. So just for HB RF IN to RF IN is okay.

With this setup, you have two separate subscriptions, with the single view on its own.

You could upgrade to 2 x Exploras plus a HD decoder ( single view) and get all this on one subscription now. At least one of the decoders must be an Explora 2A though.

Last edited:
Thanks Mr.

Saying "With this setup, you have two separate subscriptions, with the single view on its own."

Do you mean that they are not run as ExtraView?
I would like to only pay one subscription (with an R85 Access Fee for the XtraView decoder) + The Single View in the Servants Room. (+-900 + R85 + Single View Cost)

Or will it be 2 x Subscriptions (+-R900 +R900) + Single View Cost

Sorry if I seem a bit slow. ;-)

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Thanks Mr.

Saying "With this setup, you have two separate subscriptions, with the single view on its own."

Do you mean that they are not run as ExtraView?
I would like to only pay one subscription (with an R85 Access Fee for the XtraView decoder) + The Single View in the Servants Room. (+-900 + R85 + Single View Cost)

Or will it be 2 x Subscriptions (+-R900 +R900) + Single View Cost

Sorry if I seem a bit slow. ;-)
At the moment, you have a Subscription (premium + PVR access) = R 900 + 85 . The XV on the secondary decoder is included in the one R 85 charge.

I am assuming the subscription in the servants room is a separate package at R 900 for Premium? There is no XV charge or PVR charge on the single view decoder ? (or there should not be)

IF you were to upgrade to MCs new system with three decoders under one subscription, you could get all of this under one subscription.

MC introduced a 3-decoder under XV option a few months back with some provisos.

The charges are: DSTV package (anyone) + R 85 Access fee + a second R 85 access fee

All the decoders will have access to the same package, so if Premium, then all decoders have access to the premium package.

The allowed decoder combinations are:

Explora + Explora + Explora: Cost = Subscription + 2 x R 85
Explora + Explora + HD Decoder: Cost = Subscription + 2 x R85
Explora + HD decoder + HD decoder: Cost = Subscription + 2 R 85

An Explora MUST be the Primary decoder.
Need a SLNB model 500 or 501 ideally.
Can then implement HB via SLNB.
If all decoders are Explora 2As works with a single cable connection to each decoder ( full independent viewing capability, no sharing of content between decoder viewing environments)
Explora 2A should be set as the primary for best results -- It has the better PSU and is able to provide enough power to drive the SLNB on its own.

Combinations with Explora model 1 and HD decoders require a diplexer installed right behind each decoder to work ( except for the 2A Explora, which has the diplexer built in to the decoder already.

Downside: All older decoders are now obsolete. No older decoder is allowed in the mix.

Last edited:
Hi Geoff.D
It's the Idiot from sunday again.

I tried the settings as above but one HD PVR 2P's picture keep on freezing

I'm unable to find / change the Userband Settings
I did however try both "SatCR" and "SatCR Univ" in the Network Settings on both 2P's at the same time (see pics)

When I took my "Transfer of Ownership documents" in the technician said that I will have to get a "2x4 Multiswitch" (R399) to connect it the way I want to do it.
He said I need to run 2 cables from 1 and 2 (Universal) on the SLNB to the "2x4 Multiswitch" then 2 to my "new" 2P and one to the staff room (Single View SD R29)

I'm soooooo hoping to get away by not buying the Multiswitch and laying extra cables.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Are you sure you have the PACE 2P decoders? The black ones?

What other network options are available?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Hi Geoff.D
It's the Idiot from sunday again.

I tried the settings as above but one HD PVR 2P's picture keep on freezing

I'm unable to find / change the Userband Settings
I did however try both "SatCR" and "SatCR Univ" in the Network Settings on both 2P's at the same time (see pics)

When I took my "Transfer of Ownership documents" in the technician said that I will have to get a "2x4 Multiswitch" (R399) to connect it the way I want to do it.
He said I need to run 2 cables from 1 and 2 (Universal) on the SLNB to the "2x4 Multiswitch" then 2 to my "new" 2P and one to the staff room (Single View SD R29)

I'm soooooo hoping to get away by not buying the Multiswitch and laying extra cables.
It is a bit hidden. Press The white Edit button and drop down screen appears ......

My abject apologies! We work with these things all the time and start taking things for granted

See the screen shot of what should appear on the SATCR or the SATCR universal option.

Don't know why MC has to have all these "state secrets"

user bands.jpg

No MS required no need to use the legacy ports for the HD PVR2P

Last edited:
Geoff.D

YOU'R A GENIUS !!!!!!!!!

You saved me a toilet full of money and effort !!!!!!!!!

THANKS A MIL BUD !!!!!!!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Not a genius at all. Had to appeal to a member of the DStv forum to tell me where to find the setting .....

What is really disappointing is that there are so many accredited installers MC offices and Agencies out there who just don't know these things.

Thanks Jan! :D

Glad you are sorted and it works.

Last edited:

theboss99

dstv egp problem

hi have a problem i got singel view hd decoder with instillation about 2 weeks ago and i am only getiing 2 epg (tv guide) lines and not the 8 days plz help what should i do
tnxs

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Press the down arrow for 24 hour view of what is available.
Page 12 of the manual tells you how to find the 8 day guide. Press the TV guide button on the remote

Hi Geoff.D

Thanks again for the help in May.

I have a new "issue"

One evening I returned to my HD PVR2P (Secondary - Extraview - using Smart LNB) sitting on the Network Set-up Screen with ==== in the display screen of the decoder.

I exited but she is as slow as sh*t and ==== stays on display, even rebooting / shutting off ....... NOTHING helps. Also freezing every now and then.

After the Reset she sits on the Network Set-up page with:
1. Network DStv IS7/20
2. LNB Power Controlled
3. Installation Type SatCR
4. LNB Lo Frequency 9750

Just like we set it up in May.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ProvoZA

The body corporate at our complex has just installed a new dish system, with single cable "smart" LNB output. I still have an SDPVR which requires two (Horizontal and Vertical) cables. Is there a convertor that will convert the "smart" signal into the dual LNB signal so that I can use the SDPVR? Or do I need to get a f&*^$g explora?
I do like the dual output of the SDPVR so that my wife and I can watch separate channels.
Any help will be appreciated.

Ibadela

Hi I have a smart lnb and I have connected my explora on port A and my hdpvr on universe port and I bought a new HD decoder and I connected it to port B but the HD decoder does not have any signal

stepper

Expert Member
I have a similar setup to this below: 1 account + xtraview

Can I get 2 Easyview accounts 1 account for each decoder or do I have to pay R29 easyview + R85 Access fee?

R1000 is too much for sports rather spend the bucks on decent internet connection

Capture.PNG