DStv without a decoder - 2020 expected release date

Swa

Honorary Master
Where have I been wrong?

“As you can see, all the “live props” in this example are currently closed. You’ll see propositions alternate back and forth between available and unavailable throughout the game, sometimes multiple times a minute.

Oddsmakers are always adjusting and refining their odds. Expect them to take down props until the book is confident that they have the upper hand.

Ultimately, you need to be vigilant to make the most of live betting.”

Now kindy f*** off, you are out of your depth.
That's NOT the claim you made. Now please be civil when discussing with people.

milomak

Honorary Master
this whole delay thing

watch a game on dstv against someone who is watching the same game live on etv/sabc. you will hear a cheer before you see why they cheered. it is the nature of the beast

you then have the same effect between streaming and dstv. streaming will get the result later.

you can sometimes see it if say you follow football and have the fotmob app. sometimes the app will tell you about a goal before you see it on the streaming service.

if then you happen to watch on an iptv service, you could be as live as dstv tv to a minute or so behind.

milomak

Honorary Master
in live betting in south africa can be a second or two behind here in south africa especially if you choose to listen to its commentary

edit - referring to offshore bet shops

whatwhat

Executive Member
That's NOT the claim you made. Now please be civil when discussing with people.

Bolded the bit that started your original foam at the mouth rant, seems you have a bit of a short memory.

There are different feeds with different latency depending on your use case.

For example if you are a sports betting company you purchase a lower latency stream so that you can adjust the betting odds before the public sees it. This is especially helpful for those that take bets during game play, by the time the public sees the guy running for the goal and places a bet if they are going to score you have already adjusted the odds in your favour based on the outcome you've seen.

Companies like Net Insight or LimeLight have latency of less than 2 seconds for video delivery.
Odds are determined by the number of people betting on an outcome and not the actual outcome. They are always in the house's favour. They'll find themselves under regulatory scrutiny against their operating license pretty quickly if they artificially adjusted them like that.

Swa

Honorary Master
Bolded the bit that started your original foam at the mouth rant, seems you have a bit of a short memory.
There are different feeds with different latency depending on your use case.

For example if you are a sports betting company you purchase a lower latency stream so that you can adjust the betting odds before the public sees it. This is especially helpful for those that take bets during game play, by the time the public sees the guy running for the goal and places a bet if they are going to score you have already adjusted the odds in your favour based on the outcome you've seen.

Companies like Net Insight or LimeLight have latency of less than 2 seconds for video delivery.
That is the claim you made. Not merely one of adjusting odds but fixing them based on an already occurred event.

Digitaluser

July 1 tomorrow - do we have any details of packages and pricing for the "Dishless DStv" streaming service - looking forward to replies :unsure:

kessyjr

Dear Multichoice

Welcome to the 21st Century, some of us missed you.

I would subscribe in a heartbeat if I could get DSTVNow with a sports only package.

Kindest Regards

Karl

#JustSaying
Wishing for that too

deweyzeph

Executive Member

My DSTV decoder's been sitting in my cupboard for years now, and my satellite dish rusted away until it dropped off the roof. I've been using DSTV Now as my primary way of viewing DSTV for ages now.

kessyjr

My DSTV decoder's been sitting in my cupboard for years now, and my satellite dish rusted away until it dropped off the roof. I've been using DSTV Now as my primary way of viewing DSTV for ages now.
Share with us your experience. Cost of data used vs cost of subscription

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Share with us your experience. Cost of data used vs cost of subscription

Well, I've got an uncapped 20Mbps ADSL connection at the moment which I would have regardless of whether or not I watched streaming media. So whether or not I use DSTV Now or Netflix or whatever I would still be paying the same for internet connectivity regardless. Obviously if you're using a capped internet connection like Fixed LTE or mobile data that's a different story.

kessyjr

Well, I've got an uncapped 20Mbps ADSL connection at the moment which I would have regardless of whether or not I watched streaming media. So whether or not I use DSTV Now or Netflix or whatever I would still be paying the same for internet connectivity regardless. Obviously if you're using a capped internet connection like Fixed LTE or mobile data that's a different story.
That is exactly what I expected.