Duty on new iPads

Hotentot_UK

Hi all

I'm coming over to SA in a couple of weeks and have purchased 2 x 32GB new iPads which my boet has asked me to bring over for him. I paid £479 each for them, does anyone know how much I am likely to pay if I declare them on entering the country?

Thanks in advance

macboer

<comment by and idiot>

Oe. UK has high prices for iPad to start off with. Don't know how much Duty is, but next time you might want to rather buy iPad's in ZA.

<comment by idiot ends>

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Leave the boxes at home and say you had them when you left the country, ie: personal use. <evul grin>

GreyBush

Executive Member
When I got back to SA from Indo there wasn't even anyone one working in the declarations line.

bwana

MyBroadband
Depending on your circumstances you may be entitled to claim the 17% VAT back at the airport so make sure you have the correct paperwork on hand, along with the devices.

Hotentot_UK

thanks everyone for the replies.... i considered taking them out the boxes, but i will have these 2 plus my own. i was planning on paying for the 2 im brining over that are not my own and just wanted to know what duty i might expect to pay for them, if it wasnt too much it might have been worth just paying it, rather than trying to con my way in with them... if that makes sense

alternatively i could remove them from their boxes, but i wil stil have 3 in my possession, and if i was not to declare them could find myself paying a hefty fine PLUS the duty if stopped

Hotentot_UK

<comment by and idiot>

Oe. UK has high prices for iPad to start off with. Don't know how much Duty is, but next time you might want to rather buy iPad's in ZA.

<comment by idiot ends>
do you have the new ones out there now then? whole reason im bringing these is because my boet says that are not and probably wont be for some time.....i'll have a right good laugh if they are there and these turn out more expensive, and then i'll laugh even louder when he ends up having to pay duty and a fine on top of it LOL

Elimentals

Honorary Master
unfortunately that wont work, i live in the UK now, so not returning from it. i'm going to be on holiday in SA
I gathered that, thats why I said leave the boxes at your home and bring in the tablets saying you left SA with them

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
do you have the new ones out there now then? whole reason im bringing these is because my boet says that are not and probably wont be for some time.....i'll have a right good laugh if they are there and these turn out more expensive, and then i'll laugh even louder when he ends up having to pay duty and a fine on top of it LOL
Apparently they are coming out here around mid April, but I guess finding a place that will have stock is another story.

GarethC

I can't remember the exact amount, but you are generally allowed to bring in up to R3000 (open to correction) without paying duties. Anything in excess of this you generally have to pay local VAT and a fixed admin fee (don't think it's too much). So 14% at what ever exchange rate SARS are using that day.

As mentioned you may be able to claim back the VAT on the UK side. As you leave the country they will pay you the VAT you've already paid on the item. Make sure you have the receipts, for the South African Customs too.

noxibox

Honorary Master
I can't remember the exact amount, but you are generally allowed to bring in up to R3000 (open to correction) without paying duties. Anything in excess of this you generally have to pay local VAT and a fixed admin fee (don't think it's too much). So 14% at what ever exchange rate SARS are using that day.
I presume they use the same method as normal which would be 1.1 * 14%.

As mentioned you may be able to claim back the VAT on the UK side. As you leave the country they will pay you the VAT you've already paid on the item. Make sure you have the receipts, for the South African Customs too.
On the UK side you have to get the relevant paperwork from the retailer. A receipt is not enough.

phiber

Expert Member
You should pay 0% customs. there is no customs charge on electronics. They will however charge you vat. 14% vat on 110% of the items original value. Eg: if the item was 100 rand, then they work out the vat on 110 rand therefore vat would be R125,40 and not R114.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
You should pay 0% customs. there is no customs charge on electronics. They will however charge you vat. 14% vat on 110% of the items original value. Eg: if the item was 100 rand, then they work out the vat on 110 rand therefore vat would be R125,40 and not R114.
What? Please post a link or something that confirms that.