E-toll non-payment: confusion persists

chrisc

Executive Member
Its not the only thing that is unclear. Was in Jhb yesterday and saw queues of people in Cresta buying e-toll cards or whatever

Baxteen

Honorary Master
it is unclear because they have no clue. they are still living in this fantasy world where we all buy etags and pay our toll fees.

funny funny people, the news reports about this has at least provided me with a lot to laugh at.

also has anyone else noticed all the camera's and equipment only face forward? if you don't have a front number plate and no etag, they kinda can't find you..... like if you are on a bike for instance.....

House

Banned
Its not the only thing that is unclear. Was in Jhb yesterday and saw queues of people in Cresta buying e-toll cards or whatever

It's worse today. Just seen about almost 70 people at Cresta queuing to get e-Tags.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
it is unclear because they have no clue. they are still living in this fantasy world where we all buy etags and pay our toll fees.

funny funny people, the news reports about this has at least provided me with a lot to laugh at.

also has anyone else noticed all the camera's and equipment only face forward? if you don't have a front number plate and no etag, they kinda can't find you..... like if you are on a bike for instance.....

If you look at a gantry, it has cameras to capture both the front and back numberplates.
So even if your front numberplate on your car is gone, they'll get the back one.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
It's worse today. Just seen about almost 70 people at Cresta queuing to get e-Tags.
Amazing what the threat of jail time does to people...

This is the first time though that having a debt, means a criminal case. Since when did it come to that?

House

Banned
This is the first time though that having a debt, means a criminal case. Since when did it come to that?

It's not about debt. It is about using a toll road and not paying the fees as described by law.

And yes, I don't think that only the fear of jail time contributed, but most people are not in the mood for all the hassle and many may be afraid of getting affected on their credit records.

Also, the astronomical high fees of passing gantries without an e-tag and not paying within 7 - 60 days also contributes.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
It's not about debt. It is about using a toll road and not paying the fees as described by law.

And yes, I don't think that only the fear of jail time contributed, but most people are not in the mood for all the hassle and many may be afraid of getting affected on their credit records.

Also, the astronomical high fees of passing gantries without an e-tag and not paying within 7 - 60 days also contributes.

I agree, you're right. And this corrupt government exploits people's feelings every single time.

OMB

Mountain Man

as expected the sheeple are starting to buckle under all the FUD, well fukk SANRAL, I'm still not buying a tag

Petec

Expert Member
The system will eventually grind to a halt due to incompetence and maladministration.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
as expected the sheeple are starting to buckle under all the FUD, well fukk SANRAL, I'm still not buying a tag

It would be interesting to see what the collection costs go up to if a person uses every avenue available to them to dispute the charge...

I'm guessing it will be enough to wipe out the "profit" from 20 or 30 other road users who just pay like good little citizens.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
The system will eventually grind to a halt due to incompetence and maladministration.
When there is a chance to collect piles of cash then even our incompetent gov manages to pull their socks up. Kinda like SARS is the only gov entity that is halfway efficient.

Tns

Executive Member
same here, not getting tagged, if i really really have to pay i wil delay it as much as possible

Sonic2k

Executive Member

The correct term for that is "Living in Paperwork Fairy Land"