LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Yeah, somehow I don't think that SANRAL are really interested in any real world examples or facts.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
They didn't just ignore Portugal's example..

As far as I know e-tolling has proved to be a dismal failure in most countries, and none of the system live up to their potential revenue targets. I think there are a few in the Netherlands or Germany that are failures as well.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
They didn't just ignore Portugal's example..

As far as I know e-tolling has proved to be a dismal failure in most countries, and none of the system live up to their potential revenue targets. I think there are a few in the Netherlands or Germany that are failures as well.

Jeez...if the Germans cant make the model work then you must know we are totally fcked.

Dlamaqhinga

Expert Member
will never buy e-tags or pay of e-toll, there are other ways of raising the money other than e-tolls

MKFrost

Expert Member
They do not care... It only needs to work for a year or three, after that nobody cares as everybody has made enough from this whole corrupt mess....

kaaskop

Expert Member
Jeez...if the Germans cant make the model work then you must know we are totally fcked.

Yea, just think of the SA mentality of non payment and its going to cost them 3 times more than what they make to sue the users for non payment.

Weasley

Expert Member
The only way i can see etoll working is when government scrap all the taxes it charges on a liter of fuel. Then only they might convinces me to get a etag other wise why would i want to be double taxed on using the roads. that already been paid. or should be paid from my income tax.

chrisc

Executive Member
In Switzerland, an e-toll system was mooted in 1991. But it was voted out and a CHFr 0.05 levy was placed on fuel and on tunnels and this more than made up for the deficiency

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
yep... the point of any of these roads is to ease congestions, lower accident rates, lower congestion throughout the city in general and... TO KEEP CITIZENS HAPPY.

Whoever dreamed up these e-Toll projects need to go back to school. Highways already pay for themselves.

Wyzak

Expert Member
The DA should make this a focus of their election campaign.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
yep... the point of any of these roads is to ease congestions, lower accident rates, lower congestion throughout the city in general and... TO KEEP CITIZENS HAPPY.

Whoever dreamed up these e-Toll projects need to go back to school. Highways already pay for themselves.

I wish, every morning and evening in winter I seem to sit in slow traffic due to such :(

The_MAC

Executive Member
I just came back from a holiday in Portugal, and the highways were so empty that in some instances we could drive on for about 10min without seeing a single passing car. So it seems like E-toll, aided by the struggling economy is literally driving people off the roads and rendering the system unfeasible, I am not surprised by this article. One of the locals told me, "We don't know how to strike in Portugal, so now we have these fancy gates and no cars".

bekdik

Honorary Master
Etolls are more about extracting money and sending it out of the country than collecting maintenance money.

eCollusion would be a better description.

grok

Honorary Master
I just came back from a holiday in Portugal, and the highways were so empty that in some instances we could drive on for about 10min without seeing a single passing car. So it seems like E-toll, aided by the struggling economy is literally driving people off the roads and rendering the system unfeasible, I am not surprised by this article. One of the locals told me, "We don't know how to strike in Portugal, so now we have these fancy gates and no cars".

Like I said before, the National Party gave us highways .. and the ANC just took them back!

Welcome to Africa, where corruption and especially backwards thinking is a way of life ..

j4ck455

Executive Member
“They found that on average 19% of toll-road users fail to pay for using the toll roads and that e-tolls have effectively forced thousands of cars onto secondary roads,” Ollis said.

Ollis relayed statistics which indicate that failure to pay, amongst others, has increased administrative fees from €17 million (±R218 million) in 2011, to €42 million (±R540 million) in 2012.

Based on the lack of support for OUTA (donations) over the last year, it could take a very long time to get to a figure like 19% of road users that have a few brain cells and know what to do with them.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Based on the lack of support for OUTA (donations) over the last year, it could take a very long time to get to a figure like 19% of road users that have a few brain cells and know what to do with them.

I think SANRAL would be over the moon with a 19% non-payment rate... they're currently looking at 80%+ if you ask me.

j4ck455

Executive Member
I think SANRAL would be over the moon with a 19% non-payment rate... they're currently looking at 80%+ if you ask me.

We can only hope that when the bravado wears off and the reality sets in, that the brains to sheeple ratio is not in SANRAL's favour.