Easy poached eggs

ponder

Honorary Master
Bowl of cold water
Teaspoon of salt
Crack the eggs into the cold water.
Place in microwave and nuke at 100% power for 4-5 minutes. Play around with the timing to get the desired result.

If the whites dissolve in the water then your eggs are not fresh enough.

Serve on toast with tomato slices, ground pepper & salt, orgasmic!

Marsie27

How much cold water, Ponder? About 250ml (cup or so) for one egg, or more? The amount will affect how long it takes the egg to start cooking.
Anyone tried this recipe? How did it work out? Poaching eggs the conventional way is such a pain, but there's nothing like an egg to produce a microwave disaster.

schuits

Expert Member
I did this a while ago. 1/3 cup of water for an egg. Worked pretty darn well.
Though I only needed about 2 minutes.

Then wifey got me an egg poacher which makes life easier.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Much easier to put a drop of olive oil in a small sandwich bag, crack the egg into the bag, tie it off so you get this small egg in a bag packet. Pop that into boiling water until done. Snip the bag off at the knot and voila.

It's a mega cheat, but it works every time.

KT-B

Honorary Master
Much easier to put a drop of olive oil in a small sandwich bag, crack the egg into the bag, tie it off so you get this small egg in a bag packet. Pop that into boiling water until done. Snip the bag off at the knot and voila.

It's a mega cheat, but it works every time.
I have heard such horrible things about heating plastic with water inside (plastic water bottles in cars) that I am concerned that this is not good for you.

Is it safe to boil food in a plastic bag?
"I thought it was important to respond to a questionably safe Food Fad, the ZIPLOCOMELET. ... "They do not recommend using any ZIPLOC® brand Bag in boilingwater, or to "boil" in the microwave. ZIPLOC® brand Bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit.Jul 3, 2006
https://www.quora.com/Can-I-microwave-food-in-a-Ziploc-bag

Never nuke your food in plastic. If you're heating up leftovers, transfer them into microwave-safe glass or stoneware — or even a paper plate — to avoid harmful chemicals. Don't put plastic in the dishwasher. Like microwave heat, hot water in the dishwasher can cause chemicals to leach out ofplastic.Jul 9, 2015
As you can see, all Ziploc® brand items are Dioxin free. Ziploc® freezer bagsstate on their box that they are microwavable safe. Microwave temperatures caneasily exceed the heat of the water you will use for your dinner on the trail. One use though for the bags that is not recommended is boiling the bags.
https://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bags-safe/

KT-B

Honorary Master
I have no idea how the two are even linked, but ok.
Plastic bag, plastic bottle.... I do see a connection here. But it could all just be those silly scientists trying to scare us. Making life more difficult than it needs to be.

Pssst see my edit.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Bowl of cold water
Teaspoon of salt
Crack the eggs into the cold water.
Place in microwave and nuke at 100% power for 4-5 minutes. Play around with the timing to get the desired result.

If the whites dissolve in the water then your eggs are not fresh enough.

Serve on toast with tomato slices, ground pepper & salt, orgasmic!
I do that, trying to figure out how to 2 or more that will cook evenly

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Coffee cup (spray n cook).... add cheese, tomato slice, crack open egg and stab it. Nuke in micro, turn over onto slice of bread.

Haven't done this since bachelor days so can't remember if you Nuke it for 2 or 4 minutes :p