Electric Fence Question

DieselG

Good afternoon everyone.

Just a question regarding electric fence installation.

While being at home on lockdown I am trying to lay the HT Cable from the house down to the fence in order to save some time when a installer can eventually come and connect.

The house is about 130 meters from where the fence will be. Bought enough conduit.

The question I have is the following:

Should the HT Aluminium cable be one full length with no joints? So in other words, would I need 4 cables(2 for positive and 2 for earth) of about 130 meters? If it can be joined - what is the correct connection to use?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Düber

It might be simpler to move the enegizer to the fence,220v down and bring a control/alarm cable back.

But to answer.
You definitely need an out and an in for the positive.
Depending how you are doing the earthing you would need one or two lines, a single line if you are only going to sense, but a pair if you are going to loop.
It would also depend on your energizer.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Must be a monster of a property. I would agree with moving the energiser, chances are there is already perimeter power like a gate etc

DieselG

Thanks for the replies so far. The electric fence is for a bottom wall on a small holding. No electricity down there for now. When buying the material, the idea was to leave the energiser close to the house as eventually I will have to install an electric fence on the front wall as well. So the energiser this way would be somewhere close to the middle. I bought the Merlin Stealth M28S so that I can split the zones into front and back wall.

Will be running a close loop so 4 cables then.

Just to come back to one of the main questions I have (I should have maybe emphasized it a bit more). Should each of the 4 cables be 1 cable? In other words the 1 cable for 1 postive, can it be joined or should it be 1 unjointed cable of 130m. Reason I am asking is due to the fact that the supplier only gave me 3 lenghts of 100m. So already I know I am short of cable (need to run 4) but I now need to figure out if I can take the 100m cable plus 30m from the other cable and join them to get to 130m. If it is better using unjointed cable, then I must return the 3 rolls and buy 500m rolls. If the industry do join them, then what is the correct connection to use?

Thanks for the help.

Düber

I don't know of a cable joiner for the HT cable, but no doubt such a thing does exist.

Personally having joined cables underground have always had issues after some time if not in a resin case for me, so I would be tempted to get a 500m roll, or moving the energizer to a point 100m away to use the cable you have, it would be a waste not to use it.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
would I need 4 cables(2 for positive and 2 for earth)
No the earth can be anywhere as long as it is attached to the energiser. Closer to the energiser as possible to eliminate extra cable needs.

You never want to run an earth wire to the the fence because you already have the whole earth itself as the, umm, earth. If you are running earth wires on the fence itself, these can be connected via a short wire to an earth spike at the fence. Preferably multiple spikes. The better the earth the better the shock.

Last edited:

DieselG

Hi guys,

The idea was to lay the cables this long weekend. Did not get to it. As soon as I started the questions just came up again.

I have been googling away for some time and are struggling to get a definitive answer that I feel comfortable with.

Decided that I will connect the earth to be able to do earth loop monitoring. The below picture is probably the picture I get all over (different versions though).

1586788121253.png

So the question is the following. If my energiser is located against the house, on the earth out I will have 3 earth spikes 1.5m apart. Should the earth going to the fence be from the 1st earth spike as per the above picture or can the earth cable just continue from the last earth spike. The cable from this point to the actual fence will now be about 120m. Once the earth cable is connected to the fence and I run a continuous line now through the fence and then the earth cable return to the energiser, is there no earth spikes close the actual electric fence. As in the picture above, it seem as though a cable with earth spikes is running separate from the actual fence? I always understood that every 30m a earth spike will be connected to the fence?

Sorry for the all the questions, but I do appreciate the help.

Thanks