Electricity supply severely constrained: Eskom

Petec

Expert Member
The gov does not care. They love that the taxpayers fund all the other sub-saharan countries. Why next year, we are going to get a nice tax increase.
And then the private companies, who are milking it, give stuffall back in the way of development and infrastructure. End-to-end, no one is doing their part to really help this country grow.

upup

Executive Member
That is why municipalities don't pay. They know eskom will not switch off power to their comrades and some sadec countries.

Musicmp3

Why not cut the New Age breakfasts instead.

Eskom is a failed, dying utility with parasites leeching the benefits!

Bern

Expert Member
I wonder why Eskom needs to advertise at all, its a monopoly, so its not like you have a choice. Surely that money can be better spent on actually improving the infrastructure?

Maybe spend it on getting mentors in to assist the new guys to better understand the quirks of the old infrastructure and create a larger skill base for them to work from.

rsfriend

I wonder why Eskom needs to advertise at all, its a monopoly, so its not like you have a choice.
It's less about Eskom needing to advertise and more about the Guptas needing Eskom to advertise...

Anyway, since for reasons known only to my local municipality and/or Eskom, my power was off from 5-9PM last night, I guess I did my part in helping save Eskom from another collapse. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, much like the warm and fuzzy feeling I'd like Eskom senior management to get from playing with some high voltage cables.

bandooq

Expert Member
SADC not sadec. Im sure many of us have already implemented power saving measures in our homes (if not to save $). One would surely assume this would have a positive impact on the national power supply, but it hasn't. The more electricity we save, the less we have.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
I've had to review a large user supply contract with Eskom a few weeks, it was quite hilarious.

Although they guarantee you the supply, a small clause announces that they reserve the right to reduce your supply by 75% for a maximum period of 36 months with a 2 hours notice...

How would anyone invest to open a factory or a mine with these conditions ?

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
STOP WASTING MONEY ON ADVERTISING.
Andrew Etzinger from ESCUM must tell us the truth and not tell us that 25% of the units are down because of ageing infrastructure.
What a load of CRAP.

Last edited:

f2wohf

Honorary Master
STOP WASTING MONEY ON ADVERTISING.
Andrew Etzinger from ESCUM must tell us the truth and not tell us that 25% of the units are down because of ageing infrastructure.
What a load of CRAP.
Advertising won't change a thing, the budget is ridiculous compared to the cost of infrastructure.

I'd say to rather do like at Telkom, fire the numerous useless layers of management, maybe even some of the maintenance to outsource more, renegotiate the cost plus coal contracts which are costing a fortune and it would be a good start.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
Why can't ESCUM buy coal direct instead of having many BEE middlemen.
Also regarding the advertising. How do you eat an elephant. One bite at a time.
Stop the advertising will be the first step.