Drunkard #1

Expert Member
“When will Sanral and the Department of Transport wake up, smell the roses, and scrap their e-tolling plans?” Ollis wrote.

Well...

I have a theory...

Scenario 1: cANCer starts tolling before next years election. Outcome: Loses election.

Scenario 2: cANCer doesn't start tolling before next years election. Outcome: cANCer becomes the target of ridicule for delaying their own project in order to score political points, SANRAL goes bankrupt and their lies are exposed.

But...

There is another scenario. It'll take some timing to get it right, but I predict that the tolls will be implemented before the election, followed by a pause for rioting and other protests, then the cANCer will scrap the tolls amid much fanfare and claims of "listening to the people." If they get in and out at the right times, they could save face, and score a few points amongst [-]leaches[/-] their supporters, before the [-]truth[/-] inevitable backlash from the DA reaches the ears of the masses.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
It might have been OK if it was a efficient and proper locally-made system of collection with Service Level Agreements (like how quick minor accident are cleared, how long sections of lights can be offline at night and similar) where tolls are not collected if breached, based at all offramps and onramps and entry points onto the system (so as to charge you accurately for actual use), linked to law enforcement to prevent reported stolen vehicles or other crime involved vehicles from getting far on it.

Charges would have to be at most 5c/km during peaks hours (50km trip is thus R2.50) and less for off peak. Charges for trucks during peaks morning and late afternoon hours would need to be very high.

Since the current system doesn't meet the above points (except maybe the truck thing) is should not be implemented.

Bern

Expert Member
It might have been OK if it was a efficient and proper locally-made system of collection with Service Level Agreements (like how quick minor accident are cleared, how long sections of lights can be offline at night and similar) where tolls are not collected if breached, based at all offramps and onramps and entry points onto the system (so as to charge you accurately for actual use), linked to law enforcement to prevent reported stolen vehicles or other crime involved vehicles from getting far on it.

Charges would have to be at most 5c/km during peaks hours (50km trip is thus R2.50) and less for off peak. Charges for trucks during peaks morning and late afternoon hours would need to be very high.

Since the current system doesn't meet the above points (except maybe the truck thing) is should not be implemented.

yup and the option to hot have to use the system since it is a national road system with no alternatives.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
yup and the option to hot have to use the system since it is a national road system with no alternatives.

N1 north into Limpopo you have to use the slow R101, that's the alternative route. With N1 in Gauteng there are many alternate routes as well. Hans Strydom to R55 and from there to Sandton for example. Just saying.

Bern

Expert Member
N1 north into Limpopo you have to use the slow R101, that's the alternative route. With N1 in Gauteng there are many alternate routes as well. Hans Strydom to R55 and from there to Sandton for example. Just saying.

Is it a true viable alternative route or is it just a back road that can be used? More accurately can it handle the traffic and the wear and tear? Would trucks destroy it within six months basically.

I can go to JB from Pretoria via Durban, but that is not the same as a viable alternative route. An example here in the Cape is the Huguenot Tunnel, there is a good road (the old pass) that can still be used and is still maintained, it can handle traffic reasonably, but will be slow. A NEW road (the tunnel) was built to provide a premium service. I am not forced to use the tunnel, I can if I want to reduce time and load on my vehicle.

I think all the toll roads up north are ridiculous, like all those south of JB and all the others in Limpopo. To me it just smacks of financial mismanagement.

BTTB

Executive Member
The Namibian Roads Authority website.

Take a quick tour, check their overview of 4 pages, their management most of which have Engineering qualifications.
With this they have 45387Km of roads to maintain.

A large country with a population of about 3 million and a mission statement that reads as follows:

The Roads Authority is a non-profit, mission-driven organisation that strives continuously to achieve a safe and efficient national road network of Namibia. In this, we adhere to a set of values built upon the principle of good governance.

Given that the website is small with several spelling mistakes it just goes to show what the Namibian can do with a lot less people and money while not implementing Toll Roads and the like. Their mission statement of not making a profit with a good core management is simple and effective. South Africa could take a page from the Namibians, our SANRAL was never constituted properly, some shady dealings with long term detrimental contracts, just another politically inspired organisation drafted to fill other peoples pockets.

Keep it simple, it is after all only roads, leave it to the engineers and construction companies.

j4ck455

Executive Member
[highlight]our[/highlight] SANRAL was never constituted properly, some shady dealings with long term detrimental contracts, just another politically inspired organisation drafted to fill other peoples pockets.

SANRAL is yet another one of the cANCer party's bastard monopoly children, much like Telkom, SANRAL already believes that etrolling legislation gives SANRAL the ability to trample on constitutionally enshrined human rights.

SANRAL definitely does not exist to serve the citizens of this country, SANRAL is an embodiment of cANCer party corruption and the resulting gangrenous rot that has permeated all levels of government thanks to the ruling party and king Zumatello in particular.

BTTB

Executive Member
The cANCer must get treatment like transplanting some or all of the "organs" of state.

You know, I was pretty much OK with my fellow brethren since 1994, be they ANC or whatever, everyone deserves a place under the South African sunshine, but all the rotten apples in Government and the complete disregard for honesty leaves me cold and angry.
So much time, money, effort and lost opportunities, it is so shameful, embarrassing.

Last edited:

j4ck455

Executive Member
Things are only going to get worse until such time as the majority of voters (especially the extremely poor) start to realise that the tax money being stolen by government officials from the very top all the way down (it's a real pyramid scheme this government corruption), is actually meant to improve the lives of the many and not just enrich those in government that the poor and ignorant repeatedly vote into power.