Eskom must pay up - Oracle

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
Eskom must pay up - Oracle

Eskom should pay the pending dues for the software that they use, Oracle South Africa said amidst a payment spat between the two companies.

The Johannesburg High Court last week dismissed Eskom’s application to prevent Oracle from withdrawing its services over a payment dispute.

Eskom has a contractual agreement with Oracle to provide products, services, and technical support until 31 March 2022.

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member
Why doesn't Eskom just swipe their card to pay Oracle for their products, services and support?

PicsArt10-24-10.37.54_1200x1200.jpg

Paul_S

Expert Member
If Oracle pull out due to non-payment of services/product then it sets a dangerous tone for other providers.
What if Microsoft, IBM, SAP, etc. start getting the same non-payment treatment from Eskom and also pull out? Even open-source wouldn't work because it would still require customization and support services which no one would want to provide without guarantee of payment. Back to spreadsheets on paper and candles?

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
Wtf Eskom. The levels of ineptitude really can't be overestimated.

McGuywer

Executive Member
If Oracle pull out due to non-payment of services/product then it sets a dangerous tone for other providers.
What if Microsoft, IBM, SAP, etc. start getting the same non-payment treatment from Eskom and also pull out? Even open-source wouldn't work because it would still require customization and support services which no one would want to provide without guarantee of payment. Back to spreadsheets on paper and candles?
Like when we normal people have load shedding?

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
Eskom just wasted a lot of money on a court case. Why? Did they think they would win?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I recall a client that I previously had which was hammered with licensing costs.
They had a software portal with no controls where you just selected an application and it was installed. Some staff went overboard and installed everything that was available even though they didnt use it.
Come audit time and they were suddenly in for a ton of licensing costs, Im assuming this is something along those lines.

quax

I recall a client that I previously had which was hammered with licensing costs.
They had a software portal with no controls where you just selected an application and it was installed. Some staff went overboard and installed everything that was available even though they didnt use it.
Come audit time and they were suddenly in for a ton of licensing costs, Im assuming this is something along those lines.
Similar thing has happened to us. Some of theses areas are very grey and I think that many software giants feed on this buffet. Second to that, have you ever read a software license agreement? Need like a freakin phd to understand them.

rrh

Expert Member
I agree.

In addition, after listening to the interview with Sikonathi Mantshantsha, I wonder if Eskom staff didn't over-use a limited support contract by escalating trivial queries ? This can also be very expensive ...

YoungSandwich

Oracle, relax please. Can they please have a chance to organize the power first to run your software.

rrh

Expert Member
Similar thing has happened to us. Some of theses areas are very grey and I think that many software giants feed on this buffet. Second to that, have you ever read a software license agreement? Need like a freakin phd to understand them.
I once sat in a meeting with three licence "experts" from Microsoft. The meeting - such as it was - ended when the three couldn't actually agree on an interpretation of the terms of the licence.

Iwojima

Expert Member
hey look, Blom is an IT expert too now :ROFL:
He really is an absolute attention whore, yet people still think he's involved himself for a noble cause and the media still run to him for a so-called "expert" opinion.

“One password change and Eskom will have to go back to carrier pigeons,” Blom said.

He's an obvious charlatan.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
hey look, Blom is an IT expert too now :ROFL:

Oh ffs...

He really should just stay in the areas he has some purported experience in.

Attention seeking charlatan.

This license dispute could be as simple as upgrading the physical hosts of the DB servers and the new processors having considerably more cores than the previous host (I am massively oversimplifying things, but its one very basic avenue where non-compliance can unintentionally happen)

Iwojima

Expert Member
Oh ffs...

He really should just stay in the areas he has some purported experience in.

Attention seeking charlatan.

This license dispute could be as simple as upgrading the physical hosts of the DB servers and the new processors having considerably more cores than the previous host (I am massively oversimplifying things, but its one very basic avenue where non-compliance can unintentionally happen)

By the sounds of things its a combination of license and service fees (technical support I assume)

It would be interesting to see how Oracle had arrived at it's 3 different amounts (R7.6b, R800m and R380m) and how Eskom justifies their R166m, i.e. what portion is errant license usage and what portion is services.