Eskom to implement load-shedding on Sunday

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Eskom to implement load-shedding on Sunday

Eskom has announced that load-shedding will be halted at 17:00 on Saturday and will resume again at 08:00 on Sunday 23 February.

The power utility did not specify whether load-shedding would continue at stage 2 on Sunday or whether another stage would be implemented.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'd much rather have my Saturday night "ruined" with no power than my Sunday afternoon :/

j4ck455

Executive Member
There is an interesting pattern to these loadshitting events: at the start of each week there seems to be more generation capacity but everything starts to go pear-shaped as the weekends approach.

My guess is that eSkommel employees are deliberately causing things to break so they get paid double overtime to fix the problems they created.

Speedster

Honorary Master
There is an interesting pattern to these loadshitting events: at the start of each week there seems to be more generation capacity but everything starts to go pear-shaped as the weekends approach.

My guess is that eSkommel employees are deliberately causing things to break so they get paid double overtime to fix the problems they created.
They have storage dams for the hydro plants which are run during the week. As the week progresses the dams become emptier and then they're refilled over the weekend again.

j4ck455

Executive Member
They have storage dams for the hydro plants which are run during the week. As the week progresses the dams become emptier and then they're refilled over the weekend again.
And how do you explain all of the other generation breakdowns everywhere else?

Over 70000 eSkommel employees with 66% of those surplus to requirement and still there are breakdowns that mysteriously get fixed over weekends instead of Monday to Friday.

It would be very interesting to see how much overtime eSkommel employees are being paid.

Last edited:

Splinter

Honorary Master

Over 70000 eSkommel employees with 66% of those surplus to requirement and still there are breakdowns that mysteriously get fixed over weekends instead of Monday to Friday.

It would be very interesting to see how overtime eSkommel employees are being paid.

Look, they keep the lights on while industry is running. Then they penalise us poor civilians over the weekend while they refill the hydro dams and diesel. Can't really argue with that.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

It would be very interesting to see how overtime eSkommel employees are being paid.
Last time I checked they had around 46 000 employees, where did you get the over 70 000 employees?

j4ck455

Executive Member
Have a look at this (sauce: https://www.payscale.com/research/ZA/Employer=Eskom/Salary):
Eskom pays its employees an average of R415,303 a year. Salaries at Eskom range from an average of R163,776 to R883,479 a year. Eskom employees with the job title Senior Electrical Engineer make the most with an average annual salary of R740,507, while employees with the title Power Plant Operator make the least with an average annual salary of R189,807.

That tells me that power plant operators have an incentive to supplement their meagre monthly salaries with as much overtime as they can, so deliberately not maintaining something at a power plant early in the work week will result in that thing breaking down hours or days later and if it is timed just right it will need to be fixed over a weekend when the overtime rate is double.

Last time I checked they had around 46 000 employees, where did you get the over 70 000 employees?
Point taken, I did some Googling and it is closer to 50000 employees, 66% of those are still useless and lazy.

Eskom.png

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Please lock this thread, the title is misleading, since Eskom have postponed load shedding today (Sunday).
The title is still valid for every other Sunday throughout the year, besides the day is still young and who knows what Eskom will decide to do later today.