ESPN Returning to DSTV

Gudnews

Stupendous! Because Disney bought Fox, we now have so much more baseball coverage. And better yet it is broadcast at favourable times (currently watching live). Here's hoping the same for the NFL.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Interesting that non of the ESPN shows/events are on Catchup, starting to think DSTV is the ones being played by Disney and not the other way around

bwana

MyBroadband
All the games are available on YouTube. Full games. I think condensed games are also available on YouTube. 30 minute condensed games, all the play but no replays and all the bits between plays removed.

What's the point of that? If you don't watch the game live you might as well read the scores later.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
What's the point of that? If you don't watch the game live you might as well read the scores later.
I start work at 4am. So if a game starts 8pm EST its 2am here. So only get to see half of it anyway. If it's Seahawks play at home at 7pm, that is when I start work.

Gudnews

I start work at 4am. So if a game starts 8pm EST its 2am here. So only get to see half of it anyway. If it's Seahawks play at home at 7pm, that is when I start work.
I'm hopefully about those 1 ET kickoffs, even the 4 ET ones. Fox has tons of NFL games at that time and I dream of watching NFL games on CAT primetime.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I'm hopefully about those 1 ET kickoffs, even the 4 ET ones. Fox has tons of NFL games at that time and I dream of watching NFL games on CAT primetime.
DSTV never used to show the games in those time slots.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Here's hoping to a new dawn. It would be interesting to find out what the broadcast times were on Starsat's ESPN last season.
It was probably ESPN Africa. Different to ESPN that broadcasts in the USA. Just like Discovery or History have different lineups for USA, S.America, Europe and Africa.

As far as I know there are no broadcasts of NFL in Africa. You can only access it via an online source.

Last edited:

Gudnews

It was probably ESPN Africa. Different to ESPN that broadcasts in the USA. Just like Discovery or History have different lineups for USA, S.America, Europe and Africa.

As far as I know there are no broadcasts of NFL in Africa. You can only access it via an online source.
Disney and ESPN that had no real desire to really be back in South Africa or Africa, in reality only returned to availability through a structural reorganisation when Disney bought out FOX's international channels business and decided to get rid of the FOX Sports channels.

If it wasn't for FOX Sports that were already widely distributed as linear TV channels internationally in existing contracts, it's doubtful that ESPN would exist outside of the United States now.

FOX Sports were switched to ESPN following the Disney corporate takeover, with the FOX Sports channels that changed to ESPN on China's StarTimes and StarSat pay-TV service in South Africa although even that didn't go smoothly and were underpinned by fraught contract conflict.

You might be right about the NFL broadcast, only mention I see on Twitter is this:

Last edited:

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Vikings fans are are like those people who buy a lottery ticket every week but leave one number out.

Gudnews

Wowza! They got playoff hockey and baseball on CAT primetime from different networks. It would be gross negligence for them to not give us a similar NFL experience.

PS: Both games from same network.

Last edited:

Gudnews

The provisional schedule for the first NFL Sunday is disappointing. Seems like ESPN is going to have no CAT primetime football. Sad.