Ethical hacking / Pentesting

Leroy Brown

Howsit guys,

What do you guys think of this? Is there anyone around who has any experience in this field or any of the certifications?

I would like to be able to get into this field, working as a network admin at the moment.

In my spare time I like to spend a lot of time trying to crack wireless networks, working with Kali Linux. I would however like to be able to do this in a more legal manner, and also preferably be paid ;)

Thing is, in SA there aren't many places that do this. The only available positions either need a certification or experience understandably..

I have thought about doing an EC Council course but these are quite expensive.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Veroland

Executive Member
You can always apply for a job at SensePost?

I did their hacking by numbers course and it was very good

Leroy Brown

I actually sent them an email last night to find out if they have any positions available. They seem to be one of the industry leaders, have heard only good things about them.

initroot

Howsit guys,

What do you guys think of this? Is there anyone around who has any experience in this field or any of the certifications?

I would like to be able to get into this field, working as a network admin at the moment.

In my spare time I like to spend a lot of time trying to crack wireless networks, working with Kali Linux. I would however like to be able to do this in a more legal manner, and also preferably be paid ;)

Thing is, in SA there aren't many places that do this. The only available positions either need a certification or experience understandably..

I have thought about doing an EC Council course but these are quite expensive.

Any insights would be appreciated.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/712266-Pentesting-for-beginners

We had a post a while ago basic stuff. Definitely sensepost or GTSP, telspace also comes to mention.

RoganDawes

Expert Member
I actually sent them an email last night to find out if they have any positions available. They seem to be one of the industry leaders, have heard only good things about them.

Might want to send it again, I see no sign of it ;-)

Aha, found it in the "Contact Us" mailbox, and responded.

Last edited:

Zipkoppie

I work in this field, it's awesome and the pay is good.

Obviously, I'm bias, but I would recommend the offensive security certifications like OSCP, they are well respected in the field and can be done online and requires you to actually compromise an entire network.

But if you are looking for a class room environment, sensepost is the way to go, as far as I know they are the only company in SA offering that, they also offer courses at black hat in vegas every year, so they are also well respected in the industry, not just in SA.

Last edited:

Leroy Brown

Come on then, gimme a job there by you :whistling:

Thanks man appreciate it, I will have a look at it.

If I may ask, where did you do your certs?

Thanks.

I work in this field, it's awesome and the pay is good.

Obviously, I'm bias, but I would recommend the offensive security certifications like OSCP, they are well respected in the field and can be done online and requires you to actually compromise an entire network.

But if you are looking for a class room environment, sensepost is the way to go, as far as I know they are the only company in SA offering that, they also offer courses at black hat in vegas every year, so they are also well respected in the industry, not just in SA.

Zipkoppie

Haha we might have some positions opening up soon, but to work where I work you are required to hold multiple offensive security certifications.

I have various security related certs, but ones related directly to pentesting are from offensive security.

Come on then, gimme a job there by you :whistling:

Thanks man appreciate it, I will have a look at it.

If I may ask, where did you do your certs?

Thanks.