External antenna on VDSL router

Dubes

Expert Member
As per the subject, can anyone confirm whether you can replace the fitted external antennas on the VDSL routers, TP-Link TD-W9960, for example, with another external antenna?

I'm needing the VDSL connected outside the house. My thought is to connect to a router but it'll be placed in a weatherproof box. This will probably affect the WiFi signal transmitted so my thought was to connect an external weatherproof antenna on the outside of the box.

Is this an option? If not with that VDSL router, any that can?

Dubes

Expert Member
Can you not lay ethernet to inside the property to a switch and/or AP?
Please could you explain? Currently the Telkom cabling is on a pole just outside our property. From an aesthetic perspective I don't want the cable stretching from the pole across to the house. Any solution where the cable can just run to the boundary and then transmitted via WiFi will meet my needs. But I am ignorant beyond the cable coming into house and connecting to the router.

Cost is a factor. I am hoping for a solution that is not too expensive.

netstrider

Expert Member
Please could you explain? Currently the Telkom cabling is on a pole just outside our property. From an aesthetic perspective I don't want the cable stretching from the pole across to the house. Any solution where the cable can just run to the boundary and then transmitted via WiFi will meet my needs. But I am ignorant beyond the cable coming into house and connecting to the router.
If you qualify vor xDSL, Telkom (Openserve) should install the line into your property. If for some strange reason it is terminated outside (I highly doubt that) then you could place your router in a box as you suggested.

From that router, trench or run a boundary conduit into your home and connect the ethernet cable (not Telkom cable) to a wireless access point for wifi inside the property.

It sounds to me as if the installation has not been done yet.

Dubes

Expert Member
If you qualify vor xDSL, Telkom (Openserve) should install the line into your property. If for some strange reason it is terminated outside (I highly doubt that) then you could place your router in a box as you suggested.

From that router, trench or run a boundary conduit into your home and connect the ethernet cable (not Telkom cable) to a wireless access point for wifi inside the property.

It sounds to me as if the installation has not been done yet.
As mentioned, I'm sure telkom would run the cable to the house but it'll be done above ground from the pole, which based on aesthetics (directly in line of site of a great view), I am not keen on.

As you mention I could trench myself within the property but was hoping to avoid that too (lots of digging and damage to existing things).

No installation has been done, I'm just considering options as I know they'll just want to run an above ground cable to the house. I want to be armed with alternatives.

So you reckon ethernet will be the better option rather than trying to attach an antenna to transmit from that boundary router? I don't know if the VDSL routers can have antennas replaced like LTE ones can (but then those are to receive signal).

Dubes

Expert Member
Oh dear, I just thought of something obvious I overlooked... power to the router on the boundary! I'd need to dig a trench for that.

The question then is, if telkom is unwilling to install to the house underground, can I install Telkom cable from the boundary, where they terminate, to the house myself? Or do you think if I dug the trench and ran conduit before they came, they'd be willing to run it to the house through that?

netstrider

Expert Member
They may install it in the conduit underground if it's easily accessible to them - I don't know. It may even depend on the mood of the technician on the day.

Yes, having ethernet into your home and then using a wireless access point would be much better than trying to get a signal from outside. Alternatively, you could use two p2p wireless access points such as Ubiquiti - again, you will need power for all of these things so you as well just lay the cable and be done with it.