Family Kombi

kdub

Hi all

Just thought i'd ask your opinions on this as there isn't really much information or comparisons out there.

Our family has just expanded from 4 to 6 due to some family trouble and we now find ourselves with a car that is too small (Freelander 2).

We have now decided to look for a kombi due to the extra seats and loading space. We obviously need loading space because we need prams, baby bags etc so the 7 seater SUV option was dismissed as there isn't much loading room behind the 3rd row of seats.

So we have basically narrowed the search down to a VW Kombi or a Hyundai H1. The Merc was also an option but they seem to be incredibly expensive. We are looking 2nd hand and I would prefer to keep the cost below R400K.

What are your opinions on the above vehicles?

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
The VW Kombi is awesome, and if you go LWB you'll still have a fair bit of luggage space available to boot - its a full 25cm deeper than the H1's.

I've sold a fair few Kombis over the years and, from personal experience, nobody who bought one would want to part with it for love or money after a bit of time spent with it. Many of my customers found its size intimidating initially, but once behind the wheel it's such a comfortable, easy drive that those fears are quickly allayed. I'll admit to being biased, but given that you'll also find the Kombis with VW's frugal TDI mills I wouldn't even look twice at the H1.

You could also consider the Caddy Maxi van. It's not exciting, but it's a very capable and relatively affordable means of transporting a gaggle of people. It won't quite give you the Combi's space, but you could have a new 2.0 TDI DSG LWB with 7 seats for below your R400k budget... It shares much of its platform with the Golf 5/6 and Touran, so it's a very nice drive given its commercial roots.

kdub

I did test drive the Kombi 2.0tdi 103kw Comfortline and I really liked it. I was amazed that it didn't feel like driving a huge bus type vehicle at all but was smooth off the line and actually quite nippy. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many of them around and the one I found was going for R460K and was a 2013 model with 25000km on the clock. I did a transunion lookup on them and apparently retail should only be R390K to R420K MAX. There are many of the 75kw versions available though, i'm just not sure I would be happy with something with that little power.

grok

Honorary Master
I'd keep the freelander & get rid of the 'extras' .. :D

zenmeister

We have a transporter LWB 2.0tdi 132kw it drives like a dream with ample space cost wise at pre-owned should be below 400k cause we got it brand new for about 410k but that is the stock standard one.

Divine Master of Unknown

Honorary Master
Just get a Quantum and get some respect on the road :D

I used to love the look on the people's faces when my wife drove ours, people automatically assume its a taxi :p

furpile

Expert Member
Have you looked at the MB Vito? They drive very nice, and can be had secondhand within your budget easily. They also drive very nice and should have enough space. The Sprinter will probably be too big. The Vito was replaced with the Viano I think, which is more expensive.

Some Vito's that can be had 1-2 years old, below 50 000 kms:
R380k

R380k

R380k

R380k

Arthur

Honorary Master
My sister's family recently outgrew their Chrysler Voyager. Last week they got a Hyundai (and kept the Voyager). She says it drives beautifully and in many respects prefers it to the Voyager.

By the way, hats off to you for taking in the extras two. My heart goes out to the kids, and to you and your family. Thanks for improving the world.

kdub

After a lot of investigating and test driving it seems like we are going to get an H1. Best bang for buck it seems. Going to get a 2013 model for R360,000. Nice thing about Hyundai is the 150000km warranty which is more than you get elsewhere. Also a nice 90000km service plan.

Thanks Arthur. Its a sad situation indeed.

Type RSA

Expert Member
I second the Ford Tourneo. Had one for a Kruger trip with some mates and was insanely awesome. Very light on fuel and had lots of power. Worth a look.

kdub

Unforunately I couldn't afford a new tourneo and there are not really many available 2nd hand. I did visit the ford dealer though to have a look and he informed me that the facelift is coming out at the end of this month (for those interested) and the introduction of a new sport model with 114kw (as opposed to the current 92kw trend version).