Fiber ONT Installation

nmccullo

Hi,

I'm assuming that I can pretty much decide where I want the ONT to be installed inside my house? For example, can I ask the installer to install it at the furthest point from the street if that's where my gaming room is? Or do they have some sort of policy when it comes to this? (I'm assuming the closer it is to the street, the cheaper it will be for them to install.)

Cheers

Reaper84

Expert Member
My ISP covers the 1st 30m then you pay an extra R50 pm excl vat for anything over so maybe a similar policy with yours?

ld13

Honorary Master
Your ISP will have some sort of policy where they cover X amount of meters as @Reaper84 mentioned. You dictate where it needs to be installed and they will do that, and you simply pay in for the extra meters used.

isie

Honorary Master
Hi,

I'm assuming that I can pretty much decide where I want the ONT to be installed inside my house? For example, can I ask the installer to install it at the furthest point from the street if that's where my gaming room is? Or do they have some sort of policy when it comes to this? (I'm assuming the closer it is to the street, the cheaper it will be for them to install.)

Cheers
Basically as everyone advised the meter limit, if you want it in a specific place maybe map out the best route from where the junction box is to where you expect them to install the fibre.
I did this and the installers were happy to comply.

nmccullo

Basically as everyone advised the meter limit, if you want it in a specific place maybe map out the best route from where the junction box is to where you expect them to install the fibre.
I did this and the installers were happy to comply.
Thanks! I will do that.

I want to use a wired connection to my PC, so I figured I would get the ONT as close to my PC as possible. I don't want to climb inside the roof and install an ethernet cable from the one end of the house to the other. 1) It's damn hot in there during summer. 2) I'm lazy. 3) I will probably do a very untidy job and the Missus won't be happy.

At what point during the roll-out does the junction box get installed? Does each house in the neighbourhood automatically get a box or is the box only installed once you have shown interest and thereafter the ONT?

I've been waiting for fibre to be installed in our area for a couple of years now and the next couple of weeks/months are probably going to feel like the longest wait ever (I feel the way my kids must feel a month before Christmas.)

What are any visual ques, which shows that progress are being made? Obviously the fibre cables being installed on the poles is one and I'm guessing the installation of a junction box on my border wall is another "significant milestone"?

Last edited:

Smokey888

If they are only starting in the area now, IE no boxes installed on perimeter walls yet, but starting to trench and lay cables, you have a good 2-3 month wait until it's live and they can do the ONT installation.

every house automatically gets the box on the perimeter wall to ensure it is fibre ready once the fibre is live.

isie

Honorary Master
Thanks! I will do that.

I want to use a wired connection to my PC, so I figured I would get the ONT as close to my PC as possible. I don't want to climb inside the roof and install an ethernet cable from the one end of the house to the other. 1) It's damn hot in there during summer. 2) I'm lazy. 3) I will probably do a very untidy job and the Missus won't be happy.

At what point during the roll-out does the junction box get installed? Does each house in the neighbourhood automatically get a box or is the box only installed once you have shown interest and thereafter the ONT?

I've been waiting for fibre to be installed in our area for a couple of years now and the next couple of weeks/months are probably going to feel like the longest wait ever (I feel the way my kids must feel a month before Christmas.)

What are any visual ques, which shows that progress are being made? Obviously the fibre cables being installed on the poles is one and I'm guessing the installation of a junction box on my border wall is another "significant milestone"?
No they normally install one no matter what your interest was, should be outside your home on your wall - might be sharing one with your neighbour -
depending on provider but it's basically a nondescript plastic box :)
its normally installed just before once they finish laying the main cables - sometimes just before they ready to test the lines

might look like this
or even this

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
No they normally install one no matter what your interest was, should be outside your home on your wall - might be sharing one with your neighbour -
its normally installed just before once they finish laying the main cables - sometimes just before they ready to test the lines
What happens in a complex ? Does each unit get one of these boxes ?
Please can someone explain what is inside the box ?
What the connection points / ports are
and
What gets attached to them ?
Thanks

isie

Honorary Master
What happens in a complex ? Does each unit get one of these boxes ?
Please can someone explain what is inside the box ?
What the connection points / ports are
and
What gets attached to them ?
Thanks
in a complex its the same but can have 1 box shared between several units , as far as i understand the fibre cable goes in and the split it out to the individual units, that the goes int your home to connect to the ONT/GPON

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
in a complex its the same but can have 1 box shared between several units , as far as i understand the fibre cable goes in and the split it out to the individual units, that the goes int your home to connect to the ONT/GPON
OK
Is there perhaps an illustrated South African guide to installation ( PDF document ) ?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

might look like this

or even this
Just a note, I've done complexes where there was no option but to direct bury the termination with a geotag. No boundary wall boxes at any units. Although this isn't the norm.

nmccullo

Aerial fibre is being installed on our street light poles. I'm on the opposite side of the street lights. Do they run a fibre strand from the light pole directly to my house (this sounds unlikely..). Or do they install a creosote pole on my side of the road and then first run the strand to the creosote pole?

I'm kinda curious how the installation works, but didn't want to start a new thread...