Fibre ISP for Home Use

Dooper

After all that and all the advice - our area is not showing as covered by CISP...not according to their coverage map on the website...

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I also have it as R399 for 10Mb with Webafrica. But what is Webafrica like? There are some mixed feedback? Would 10Mb be good enough for streaming music video, little bit of netflix etc - mostly 1 user?
Netflix and Youtube pulls data and at 10mbps you're getting almost full HD.

You can easily blow 5gig a day so don't do WA.

CaneMan

I live in a complex and is there a way to know where the lines run or if excessive digging etc would be required?
I live in a complex as well, as Cavedog mentions, they used the existing conduit into the house to where the Telkom line comes into the Telkom telephone connection. I was not charged for Openserve installation.

cavedog

Honorary Master
After all that and all the advice - our area is not showing as covered by CISP...not according to their coverage map on the website...
If you say you have Openserve coverage just confirm here http://openserve.co.za/open/fibre/

If it shows fibre coverage go and place an order with CISP and make sure you place with the full address. The address in the complex and the complex street address. They will do a manual order with Openserve for you. Should be around 3 - 4 working days to be installed usually.

Dooper

If you say you have Openserve coverage just confirm here http://openserve.co.za/open/fibre/

If it shows fibre coverage go and place an order with CISP and make sure you place with the full address. The address in the complex and the complex street address. They will do a manual order with Openserve for you. Should be around 3 - 4 working days to be installed usually.
Yes its showing available on Openserve...

Dooper

Hi guys. Ok so some questions regarding the installation please :)
* Should I be worried where the actual lines are? I haven't seen any digging etc inside our complex, yet its all covered?
* Having mentioned this - what is an average distance (if there is such a thing) for the actual line installation, since some SP charge for further than 8m?
* The actual modem - how strong is a signal in general - would one for example be able to get signal in your lounge as well as approx 5m further through a wall in room? I presume it will have to be plugged in for power as well.
* Will the installers first come out and inspect and then come back to perform actual installation or is this simultaneous?
* Would I need to be present to 'oversee' upon installation or can I leave it to a housekeeper to open up etc? Eg do they ask / give options in terms of installation?
* What is the general advance given in terms of appointment time from installers?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi guys. Ok so some questions regarding the installation please :)
* Should I be worried where the actual lines are? I haven't seen any digging etc inside our complex, yet its all covered?
* Having mentioned this - what is an average distance (if there is such a thing) for the actual line installation, since some SP charge for further than 8m?
* The actual modem - how strong is a signal in general - would one for example be able to get signal in your lounge as well as approx 5m further through a wall in room? I presume it will have to be plugged in for power as well.
* Will the installers first come out and inspect and then come back to perform actual installation or is this simultaneous?
* Would I need to be present to 'oversee' upon installation or can I leave it to a housekeeper to open up etc? Eg do they ask / give options in terms of installation?
* What is the general advance given in terms of appointment time from installers?
1. No don't worry where the line is. You live in a complex there will be no trenching and if there is it will likely not be more than 8m.
2. Depends where the nearest point is but even if it's 20m+ away does not matter they will use existing conduits to do the installation
3. Well wifi is wifi. unreliable but on a 10/5 line you should be good to go on both bands for wifi
4. For the most part they come to install not inspect so in situations where they need to trench Openserve knows this area is trenched and the appropriate contractor gets the job. Aerial or complexes usually gets 1 or 2 guys to come and install
5. You don't have to be present unless the contractor got some information with regards to the install like need permission to go to the neighbors yard ect but I'm sure the house keeper will be fine. They usually phone to make an appointment and if the contractors aren't busy when they phone it's possible for them to want to install the same day. Happened with me. IF you can't then you can arrange a time with the contractor that phones you.
6. As mentioned it really just depends on what the contractors schedule looks like. From what I've seen in Centurion they are very very fast like 2 days after they received the order from Openserve they want to come and install.

genetic

Honorary Master
Openserve coupled with unthrottled + unshaped Cool Ideas = heaven

cavedog

Honorary Master
Openserve coupled with unthrottled + unshaped Cool Ideas = heaven
On the 10/5 yes agreed on 200/100 yes but not for R2409 per month. even the data only account for R1699 is more than what I'm paying or going to be paying after my free months for unthrottled + unshaped :)

Dooper

Hello again lol. Taking you through this whole process it seems!
Do I select option 2? This would mean that the line would still be 'installed' by Openserve correct? No issues with me being in Cape Town?
1564377478997.png

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hello again lol. Taking you through this whole process it seems!
Do I select option 2? This would mean that the line would still be 'installed' by Openserve correct? No issues with me being in Cape Town?
View attachment 689683
If you want to use their router yes option 2. If you want to use own router option 1. Router comes pre configured with the correct pppoe details so plug and play.

Dooper

Hi Everyone

After having placed my order on Monday early, there are still "issues" as to get the ball rolling apparently. How long does it normally take for the process? First CISP advised me that the Openserve portal is down so they can't place my order, then they couldn't find my location on the map (today). I sent them the link that PBCool sent me (below) - but surely they should have this already?
Try this https://cisp.28east.co.za

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Hi Everyone

After having placed my order on Monday early, there are still "issues" as to get the ball rolling apparently. How long does it normally take for the process? First CISP advised me that the Openserve portal is down so they can't place my order, then they couldn't find my location on the map (today). I sent them the link that PBCool sent me (below) - but surely they should have this already?
Thanks did you send them the above link with your address though?

Dooper

Only the link. I realise its not the same address, but my address is on my application I sent through?

onpartydig

I also have it as R399 for 10Mb with Webafrica. But what is Webafrica like? There are some mixed feedback? Would 10Mb be good enough for streaming music video, little bit of netflix etc - mostly 1 user?
I would stay away from Webafrica, they are the masters of throttling/shaping and having a FUP of 100GB is just ridiculous. I would much rather go for someone like Cool Ideas - R499 with no FUP, no throttling and unshaped.

uzairb

Hi Everyone

Online application to connected took me Saturday to Tuesday. Monday was a public holiday.
Cool Ideas/Openserve.
I was a first time fibre customer.