Fibre ISP recommendation for "mom & pop"

Kelerei

Expert Member
Kia ora,

My parents have informed me that FTTH is finally available in their area (Kloof, Durban: provided by Openserve). They're very keen to switch over as their ADSL goes up and down like a Thai transvestite in Bangkok (attenuation due to distance from exchange being the primary issue), plus they've been given the "we're decommissioning copper lines in the area" talk, but need my help in choosing a fibre ISP. Unfortunately, I no longer know the South African ISP scene as well as I once did, hence my coming here for advice.

Some relevant information:
  • As mentioned above, Openserve is the fibre provider. No other fibre providers in the area, or likely to be in the area in the foreseeable future.
  • Usage is typically standard internet browsing (your stereotypical "mom & pop"), with some video streaming thrown in (mainly YouTube videos), but having experienced Netflix (at my old Cape Town apartment, on a 10Mbps ADSL connection), they want to go that route themselves now. Little concurrent usage, so anything faster than 10Mbps down/5Mbps up will likely be overkill for them.
  • The key factors for them would be network stability and quality of helpdesk support (so do not recommend Webafrica, I know from prior experience that they severely lack in both). They are definitely not the world's most technologically literate people, and their previous "tech support" (me) is now 11,000 km away and 11 hours ahead -- something with a stable network and that has decent support for when they need it will be the one to go for here.
A few months ago, I probably would have recommended Cool Ideas based on general feedback and consensus here, but their susceptibility to DDoS attacks is leaving me reconsidering, and I'm not sure what the next best option is nowadays.

Suggestions are welcome (unless you're an ISP sales rep, in which case you can sod right off: we value honest user feedback infinitely more than a sales drone's pitch). Will be looking at actioning this in the New Year (since they're about to jump on a plane and spend Christmas and New Year over here).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions -- and apologies in advance if I'm not quick to respond in this thread (different timezones and all of that).

Sopbeen

I'm going to let you in on a little secret, since its for your parents: go with websquad. Their network techs are on mybb, their admin dept is wake-up and communicates very well.

SAguy

Expert Member
I have my in laws on a 10/5 openserve line with CISP. Has been all good, other then the recent DDoS issues.

For them though it's just a case of finding something else to do, they don't really care if it goes down and just carry on with old people stuff if it does ;)

Edit: I'm also on CISP and I'd suggest using the same ISP as you're using if possible/applicable - two birds with one stone when troubleshooting.

furpile

Expert Member
One advantage of Openserve fibre is that you can dial up different connections as with ADSL, so you can have a backup data account or just buy adhoc data when needed, if the main ISP has problems. Probably not required in your use case but still helpful.

Kelerei

Expert Member
I'm going to let you in on a little secret, since its for your parents: go with websquad. Their network techs are on mybb, their admin dept is wake-up and communicates very well.
I've actually never heard of WebSquad before -- will do some research into them. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have my in laws on a 10/5 openserve line with CISP. Has been all good, other then the recent DDoS issues.

For them though it's just a case of finding something else to do, they don't really care if it goes down and just carry on with old people stuff if it does ;)
There's some somewhat selfish reasons at play here: if it goes down, they do notice, and I end up getting a WhatsApp voice call, 11 hour time difference be dammed (read: I get woken up at 3am NZ time, and Mrs Kel rolls over and asks "what have they broken now?"). Though they haven't yet worked out that this works both ways... :sneaky:

Edit: I'm also on CISP and I'd suggest using the same ISP as you're using if possible/applicable - two birds with one stone when troubleshooting.
I used this approach back in the ADSL days, and before I left South Africa -- and exactly for the reasons you mentioned. Won't work now, for obvious reasons...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I doubt you could go wrong with Afrihost. Their WhatsApp support is good and your folks may find that exceptionally easy to make use of. Their Pure Fibre accounts are excellent, pricing is good etc. And of course they have a very strong presence here on MyBroadband.

With all the DDoS'ing going on, I hardly felt a thing with Afrihost and Openserve.

wingnut771

Executive Member
I've actually never heard of WebSquad before -- will do some research into them. Thanks for the suggestion.

There's some somewhat selfish reasons at play here: if it goes down, they do notice, and I end up getting a WhatsApp voice call, 11 hour time difference be dammed (read: I get woken up at 3am NZ time, and Mrs Kel rolls over and asks "what have they broken now?"). Though they haven't yet worked out that this works both ways... :sneaky:

I used this approach back in the ADSL days, and before I left South Africa -- and exactly for the reasons you mentioned. Won't work now, for obvious reasons...
still works on openserve fibre, you can use any adsl account, just dial the pppoe details.