chiskop
Executive Member
That's very interesting, IaC, and I hadn't known that before.
However, reading up about it, I think that you're imposing your own agenda on the facts:
Every other source I've read since also gives this as the reason. Only the Free Republic and some Australian blogs mention crime being a problem in Columbia in 1986, and then it is only to make some point about SA.
However, reading up about it, I think that you're imposing your own agenda on the facts:
Colombia was originally chosen as hosts by FIFA in June 1974. However, the Colombian authorities declared in November 1982 that they could not afford to host the World Cup under the terms that FIFA demanded.[wikipedia]
But when Columbian organizers withdrew their application in 1983, citing bankruptcy, Mexico, which hosted Pele's swansong in 1970, stepped in and became the first nation to stage two World Cups.[your own: cbc.ca]
But when Columbian organizers withdrew their application in 1983, citing bankruptcy, Mexico, which hosted Pele's swansong in 1970, stepped in and became the first nation to stage two World Cups.[your own: cbc.ca]
Every other source I've read since also gives this as the reason. Only the Free Republic and some Australian blogs mention crime being a problem in Columbia in 1986, and then it is only to make some point about SA.
Last edited: