Firearms license in 2023?

10:10

Expert Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2022
Messages
1,696
Reaction score
830
Location
Ogies Mpumalanga
I live alone and break-ins are becoming a problem in our area.

The local community groups report that single individuals and the elderly are especially at risk. I had a handyman come and installed some burglar bars and security gates. Turned out to be a 3 man job. They did a really nice job and in total, I only had to pay R7k for everything. I live in a small space.

That said I am looking into getting a Glock 19 Gen 3.

excluding the cost of the firearm itself, and what other costs are involved. I know there is a cost for a competency certificate but I am not sure. I got a bunch of numbers but people are slow at getting back to me.

So what are the steps? How much did it cost excluding the cost of the firearm? How long did you wait for your license?

What other considerations must I look at?
 
I live alone and break-ins are becoming a problem in our area.

The local community groups report that single individuals and the elderly are especially at risk. I had a handyman come and installed some burglar bars and security gates. Turned out to be a 3 man job. They did a really nice job and in total, I only had to pay R7k for everything. I live in a small space.

That said I am looking into getting a Glock 19 Gen 3.

excluding the cost of the firearm itself, and what other costs are involved. I know there is a cost for a competency certificate but I am not sure. I got a bunch of numbers but people are slow at getting back to me.

So what are the steps? How much did it cost excluding the cost of the firearm? How long did you wait for your license?

What other considerations must I look at?
Where are you based?if we know that we can recommend shops to assist and which will give good service.
Cost in general:
Proficiency training R1-2k
Competency certificate R140ish
License R70ish

This doesn't include firearm or safe.
 
First step would be to head down to a firing range and try some guns, if you haven't already. Size, weight, comfort differ between models and you want something you can comfortably carry and use if you need to.
 
No offense but judging the way you react here on the forum I dont think you should own a firearm.
 
Where are you based?if we know that we can recommend shops to assist and which will give good service.
Cost in general:
Proficiency training R1-2k
Competency certificate R140ish
License R70ish

This doesn't include firearm or safe.
I live in Mpumalanga right now. I move around a lot.
 
First step would be to head down to a firing range and try some guns, if you haven't already. Size, weight, comfort differ between models and you want something you can comfortably carry and use if you need to.
A friend of mine has a similar pistol, I found it very easy to use and my accuracy is good. It is a bit big what would you recommend. I know a lot of people said I must look into a 38 Special. I will see If I can find someone that has one and will allow me to shoot it at the local range.
 
A friend of mine has a similar pistol, I found it very easy to use and my accuracy is good. It is a bit big what would you recommend. I know a lot of people said I must look into a 38 Special. I will see If I can find someone that has one and will allow me to shoot it at the local range.
Don't get a revolver. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to use your weapon, you want more than 6 shots.

I found the Sig P320C to be the most comfortable. I'm short and skinny so carrying a large weapon is tricky, it's difficult to conceal for me. The CZ P10C was also nice.
 
No offense but judging the way you react here on the forum I dont think you should own a firearm.
I would never use a firearm for that. People that do survive it are sometimes disfigured and suffered heavy brain damage and can't look after themselves anymore. It is a terrible idea to use a firearm for that purpose.

I would never even consider it. I respect what a Firearm is and what it does. I will not contribute to making it more difficult to own one. I can be trusted with a firearm.
 
Don't get a revolver. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to use your weapon, you want more than 6 shots.

I found the Sig P320C to be the most comfortable. I'm short and skinny so carrying a large weapon is tricky, it's difficult to conceal for me. The CZ P10C was also nice.
I will look into it thank you.
 

There are other threads too, feel free to do a forum search here…

IMG_0233.jpeg
 

There are other threads too, feel free to do a forum search here…

View attachment 1553785
Sorry, I didn't know about the thread.
 
Don't get a revolver. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to use your weapon, you want more than 6 shots.

I found the Sig P320C to be the most comfortable. I'm short and skinny so carrying a large weapon is tricky, it's difficult to conceal for me. The CZ P10C was also nice.

and what situation would that be? :unsure:

He is getting it for self defense at home ... if you need more than 6 shots, dan skiet jy kak :p
 
I have the Glock 19 gen 3...its not a bad gun at all BUT, depending on your size and what you do work wise have a look at other options..

Ive had it on my hip at the 4pm position the last week while painting, climbing ladders, crawling in a roof etc and that grip can be a catchy point. Its not too much of an issue for me but it might be for you?

They are very reliable and parts and accessories are plentiful though...
(just remember there is no external safety switch on the Glock so when its loaded and a round is chambered and its good to go it needs to be in a holster, not just shoved in your pocket or something!)
 
and what situation would that be? :unsure:

He is getting it for self defense at home ... if you need more than 6 shots, dan skiet jy kak :p
Home invasions are usually committed by multiple people. How many bullets would you like to have?
 
Sorry, I didn't know about the thread.
All good.

Anyway…
Get a modern, well supported pistol.
Get one you can comfortably carry and conceal all day, I think a G19, great as it is, is just too large for that for many people (I own and carry one, but also have smaller options like a G43 as an example).
Get proper training (shooting and fighting training, not only proficiency).
Find a good instructor for the training and advice.

There is a lot more than that, so for now I would not suggest anything but that you get your proficiency done and competency submitted as soon as possible.
That leave plenty of time to do research, go and shoot with some options and get good advice before you buy anything.

And please, really please ignore the ‘revolvers are best for women because…’ and ‘you will never need more than 6 shots’ brigade, these are generally people with no real experience.
And guaranteed, at least one of them will refer to the St. James shooting to try make the case for revolvers.
 
Last edited:
Home invasions are usually committed by multiple people. How many bullets would you like to have?

I personally have a Taurus 9mm parabellum 16 shooter ....

but don't stop people from getting what they want, there's nothing wrong with revolvers.

If you fire a Magnum 365 during a home invasion, someones gonna take notice. :thumbsup:
 
I personally have a Taurus 9mm parabellum 16 shooter ....

but don't stop people from getting what they want, there's nothing wrong with revolvers.

If you fire a Magnum 365 during a home invasion, someones gonna take notice. :thumbsup:

Oh boy…

I am now sure you also believe ‘you cannot miss with a shotgun’.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X