First time SSD buyer...please help.

Serene

Expert Member
Morning My'bbers,

I want to buy my first SSD's.
I was thinking of a 120gb for OS and 500gb for games,music etc.

I saw that on the WD green SSD the people complain about the write speeds.

Was looking at Kingston A400 also.

Want this to be bang for buck and also your recommendations and help with regards to installing.

I read about TRIM and the other stuff but also want the SSD's to perform at their peak so any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

Many thanks

gamer16

Honorary Master
Subbed.

Is there a reason for keeping the OS split from everything else? Usually one does that because your other stuff is on a mechanical drive.

Serene

Expert Member
Subbed.

Is there a reason for keeping the OS split from everything else? Usually one does that because your other stuff is on a mechanical drive.

Just keeping it organized and knowing that if something happens to OS drive I don't loose something critical that hasn't been backed up.

You know karma...and we don't get along.

Also......donating my mechanical 1TB WD to the wife's PC. Brownie points are raking up...

DarkDragon

I have bought and sold a few different brands of SSD's sandisk, Adata, Apacer, crucial, WD, seagate, kingston and samsung. Samsung seems to be most popular. I use an Adata in my laptop and a crucial in my Mac works great.

So what I am saying can't go wrong with any at the end will come down to price and preference. At the time I bought the Adata for my laptop it was cheapest I could get and at the time I purchased the one for my Mac the crucial was the cheapest.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Morning My'bbers,

I want to buy my first SSD's.
I was thinking of a 120gb for OS and 500gb for games,music etc.

I saw that on the WD green SSD the people complain about the write speeds.

Was looking at Kingston A400 also.

Want this to be bang for buck and also your recommendations and help with regards to installing.

I read about TRIM and the other stuff but also want the SSD's to perform at their peak so any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

Many thanks
I have a 120GB WD green, day to day use is great, unless you are doing data copying or data writing daily and a lot of it, people are nit picking for the sake of nit picking. If you look at the WD green write speeds versus WD green mechanical HDD speeds there is a huge difference already.

I can't fathom a single instance in normal daily use where the WD green would be so slow it will be noticeable enough to complain about.

rodga

Executive Member
120gb is too small. With the prices as it is I would just get a 500gb drive.

wizardofid

Executive Member
120gb is too small. With the prices as it is I would just get a 500gb drive.
120Gig is more then enough as an "OS drive" hell all of my game development tools install I still have 43gigs spare on the OS drive.So nonsense 120gb is more then enough for an OS drive, for gaming you get an additional drive or a combo drive of Mech HDD and SSD.

My downloads has all been set in all apps to download to the mech HDD, 2.5 TB steam library is also installed on a mech HDD. If you really want to be anal about it you could get a larger SSD and install steam on it with a few games at a time, especially if you play a lot of online games and loading times are important.For average joe, SSD/HDD still works just fine.

*edit
To add even with a 1TB SSD I would still set my downloads to HDD, and do some things that require a lot of read and writes to HDD.Regardless of reliability of SSD's improving drastically over the years, I STILL practice don't do unnecessary read or writes.

I use my SSD daily for 104 days of use I managed 2.58tb of lifetime writes that is pretty good.

Attachments

Last edited:

daneza

Basically what everyone else has already said. I find splitting drives more of an annoyance than useful, to be honest. But using a 500GB only and installing large games like GTA5, BF4, BF5, etc you start to feel the limits of it pretty quickly and have to choose what games you really want installed. You don't want your OS drive filled to the brim.

Reviewers will complain about write speeds, but this being your first SSD you'll be blown away no matter what you buy. :D
The Kingston is probably a better choice than the WD, but it's all up to your price point.

Installation is super easy, just plug and play. Ideally you want a fresh Windows install to get the most benefit. And Windows 10 is already optimised for SSD's so you don't have to worry about technical stuff like TRIM, etc.

daneza

Also, prices have come down really nicely now. I paid R2k for a 256GB Crucial MX400, 2 years ago. Can almost buy a 1TB for that now. :crying:

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
Just keeping it organized and knowing that if something happens to OS drive I don't loose something critical that hasn't been backed up.

You know karma...and we don't get along.

Also......donating my mechanical 1TB WD to the wife's PC. Brownie points are raking up...
And if something happens to the 2nd drive you'll loose the info in any case .... point invalid .... DO BACKUPS

millennia

i opted for a Samsung 860 when i replaced my laptops drive at the beginning of the year. Highly recommended. I've used a few Kingstons, etc at work and the response time just doesn't seem to compare.

ponder

Honorary Master
And if something happens to the 2nd drive you'll loose the info in any case .... point invalid .... DO BACKUPS
Yip, don't quite follow the logic employed by the OP.

Atom: Hey guys I can see you're all tired but this is the persons data drive so let's not kill it m'kay, let us rather go kill his os drive as he does not mind it failing.

Spontaneous spinach

I use 500GB SSD for os and games that benefit speeds from ssds like battlefield, the rest of my shít go on mechanical drives

Spontaneous spinach

The WD blue ssds come with 5 year warranty which is a huge perk for a tiny difference in speeds compared to competition

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I had a 128GB SSD before my current 1TB one. Jesus, was I glad to see the back of that thing. I strongly recommend buying nothing smaller than 256GB.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Honestly it doesn't matter if you buy the cheapest SSD on the market the speed will be significantly better the a mech drive, unless you have a m.2 on your motherboard then those are generally a bit faster then the standard SSD. I have an al cheepo sandisk from like 5 years ago and samsung evo 800something and I can't tell the difference between the 2 of them.

Don't get a 120gig damn those things full quickly 250gig minimum.

With installing its pretty easy plug and play unless you have a stupid placed m.2 slot that interferes with your graphics card.