Flutter

jezzad

Decided to get my hands dirty and finally learn how to build an app. Been using flutter for this and following an online tutorial. Not as seasoned as most of you but finding it incredibly user intuitive and “simple"

Also happy to see a lot of open source code base available for purchase / download and plug and play.

Seems like there is also decent integration between Wordpress API and off the self themes and layouts.

So as a noob who uses woocommerce and wordpress a lot its a good transition and it give me the ability to offer my existing clients Apps

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Been playing around with Dart myself. Nothing big, but I have asked myself if I really would choose Go over Dart for server side development.

I'm sure there's a reason ...somewhere. Maybe I'll find it when I've written something more involved with Dart.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I've also asked myself why I would use C# (..or even god damn Java) instead of Dart.

No really, why? (adoption and the the paid for licensing that needs to show a ROI aside)

Sysem

Expert Member
I've also asked myself why I would use C# (..or even god damn Java) instead of Dart.

No really, why? (adoption and the the paid for licensing that needs to show a ROI aside)
Or Kotlin considering Google is pushing that hard native android dev...

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Or Kotlin considering Google is pushing that hard native android dev...
I gave Kotlin a go. Just another JVM language. I didn't see the benefit of using it over Java (server side).

A part of me also looks down on a language developed by a company who did it so that they can get more IDE sales.

I prefer the languages like Go, Rust, Dart, C++ etc. where you compile to native code and don't need a vm to run. I think I got it right with Kotlin (or was it Swift?) but had to jump through a couple of hoops.

EDIT: I play with them all just to get a feel: C#, Java, Python, Go, Rust, Dart, Kotlin, Swift, Nim, Node/Js etc.

Of them C# and Java stuck because I like to work under duress.

Python :love:

Go.... but it got boring to work with quick and the chances of landing a production project using it in South Africa's **** scared "I only know Java" market it lost appeal. I use it now and again when Python is just being a little bitch. Only met one guy who didn't mind the "but we wont find resources" line and said "well, people can learn".

Rust.... "do one thing everyday that scares frustrates you" ~ Eleanor Hamster.

Dart... looks like an all purpose language that can replace the likes of C# and Java. Maybe I can use it as a go to language instead of Python.

The rest just came and went. We have a Node project coming up now and I cannot help but feel it was a compromise between the client and architect.

Last edited:

Sysem

Expert Member
I gave Kotlin a go. Just another JVM language. I didn't see the benefit of using it over Java (server side).

A part of me also looks down on a language developed by a company who did it so that they can get more IDE sales.

I prefer the languages like Go, Rust, Dart, C++ etc. where you compile to native code and don't need a vm to run. I think I got it right with Kotlin (or was it Swift?) but had to jump through a couple of hoops.

EDIT: I play with them all just to get a feel: C#, Java, Python, Go, Rust, Dart, Kotlin, Swift, Nim, Node/Js etc.

Go.... but it got boring to work with quick and the chances of landing a production project using it in South Africa's **** scared "I only know Java" market it lost appeal. I use it now and again when Python is just being a little bitch. Only met one guy who didn't mind the "but we wont find resources" line and said "well, people can learn".

Dart... looks like an all purpose language that can replace the likes of C# and Java. Maybe I can use it as a go to language instead of Python.

The rest just came and went. We have a Node project coming up now and I cannot help but feel it was a compromise between the client and architect.
Kotlin isn't only JVM, it can be compiled to native. Still under heavy dev, so not perfect - but its there. In fact, there's a big drive to use kotlin as a multiplatform solution for mobile apps. You can have the common code written in kotlin, then each platform uses its specific framework for the UI level. Not quite like flutter where its write once, but at least you can write the UI in SwiftUI / Jetpack Compose for the mobile side (as it probably should be), and then keep domain / data code shared

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Maybe I'll give it another try. Got nothing to lose. I'll see how far that native compiler got. :)

Genisys

Honorary Master

You didn't play with PHP? Already convinced its the best language out there? :p

Hamster

Resident Rodent
You didn't play with PHP? Already convinced its the best language out there? :p
Oh right... Wordpress Script. Just goes to show that I don't even think about it. It doesn't even feature in a list that contains Nim.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Ok I tried Flutter. For UI and a solution where you want to only use one Language and framework, Flutter seems good. I have a list of complaints about Flutter, but not going to post about them. Might build a project using Flutter just to get some sense of it true power, but first need to find an idea of what I want to build.