FNB Tap and Go limit, removed?

ekske1

Expert Member
Got my new credit card a few days ago. I was able to tap for R500 without Pin request, I then asked FNB via secure chat about it and was told " we can not change this ".

So now I can just tap any amount?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Got my new credit card a few days ago. I was able to tap for R500 without Pin request, I then asked FNB via secure chat about it and was told " we can not change this ".

So now I can just tap any amount?
Saw my dad use his the tap and pay feature. First I was impressed that he knew about Tap and Pay but then realized he made a R450 payment without using his pin.
I've been feeling concerned about FNB also, in that it doesn't ask you for finger print when you make a purchase.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The way I understand the tap feature is that it should periodically ask for a pin, irrespective of amount.
When I had the FNB Gold credit card (until late Nov last year), I was always asked for pin for swipes over R200 and never for below it. My Nedbank CC was the same.

TheSlinger

When I had the FNB Gold credit card (until late Nov last year), I was always asked for pin for swipes over R200 and never for below it. My Nedbank CC was the same.
I've been asked for taps under R100 before, while other times not asked for larger taps. My understanding above comes from what I heard from someone who develops the point of sale terminal software for some of the banks.

Craig

Honorary Master
Mine always asks for my pin, irrespective of the amount. Was actually thinking it would be very convenient if I didn't need a pin for under R50.

ekske1

Expert Member
Mine always asks for my pin, irrespective of the amount. Was actually thinking it would be very convenient if I didn't need a pin for under R50.
I used to get this with everything over R200. Fnb is just being incompetent...

epah

Expert Member
Don’t get what the issue is here. The bank will reimburse you if your card gets stolen.

lunch

This is normal, the floor limit is R500 amongst all the SA banks except absa but may be influenced by PED/terminal settings at individual merchants. You can probably change the cvm limit on your banking profile

Polymathic

Honorary Master
So a Tap and Go cheque account card? Can't see debit orders go off a credit card. And Tap and Go debit cards always ask for pin.
All FNB cards support Tap and Go. I've used tap and Go feature on my Cheque card a couple times non of the times it asked for a pin

supersunbird

Honorary Master
All FNB cards support Tap and Go.
Yes, and? Do the debit orders go off your Credit Card? Does your debit card not ALWAYS ask for a pin when you Tap and Go? ( hint: it does!). So that leaves a cheque account for your story about debit orders and your Tap and Go being misused and you being up the creek with missed debit orders. I do not know if the cheque cards work like the credit cards (can tap without pin) or like the debit cards (always wants pin even if tapping), do you know?

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
i heard that the first time Tap n Go is used it will ask for a pin number or OTP from App or something, and only then in future will it go off automatically.
Correct me if Im wrong.
Scary stuff.
I only just got my new cards 2 or 3 weeks ago, monitoring them carefully.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Yes, and? Do the debit orders go off your Credit Card? Does your debit card not ALWAYS ask for a pin when you Tap and Go? ( hint: it does!). So that leaves a cheque account for your story about debit orders and your Tap and Go being misused and you being up the creek with missed debit orders. I do not know if the cheque cards work like the credit cards (can tap without pin) or like the debit cards (always wants pin even if tapping), do you know?
yes both my credit and cheque card have that wifi badge, the tap n go badge

epah

Expert Member
Would they reimburse for failed debit orders while they process your claim?
I mean we wouldn’t know unless someone tried it out. I don’t know why they wouldn’t though. Your card was used fraudulently so why wouldn’t they reimburse any charges

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
The question is around PIN requirement behaviour on the cheque card when using Tap and Go, please provide insight.
no phucking idea but i am going to give it a try when i fill up as my locals here at Engen like to Tap n Go. I will ask them to try it out and then give back feedback here on the thread

phil77

My FNB debit card doesn't ask for PIN all the time. I don't remember the last time it asked me for one

supersunbird

Honorary Master
My FNB debit card doesn't ask for PIN all the time. I don't remember the last time it asked me for one
The only debit card is for an Easy Account, do you have an Easy Account? If you have a Gold Cheque Account, it's a Cheque Card.

I guess they treat a Cheque Card like a Credit Card, if so, then yes, mmmig debit order charges thing is feasible and yucky.