FNB's advertising campaign debacle

Ashtop

If this doesn't backfire on the ANC and show the voters the disgrace they really have become, then I agree with Prof Jansen. I am ashamed to be South African.

ClintZA

Banned
Shocking! The ANC is a disgrace. First, they "threaten" businessmen to support the ANC if they wish to be successful, and now they threaten any businesses that dare to raise any issues faced by our country.

FNB is shocked by the allegation of treason levied against it. It is remarkable in its callousness and insensitivity to the children surveyed, who spoke honestly and without fear of reprisal.

With censorship not being an option, the only alternative available to FNB in the face of such serious allegations was to take the responsible decision to withdraw the interview clips for the time being, in the best interest of the children concerned.
Seems FNB has more concern for the youth of this country than the bloody ANCYL that purports to be for the youth but is more about personal ambitions and acting like the militant wing of the ANC.

Last edited:

OverKill69

ANC spokesperson Keith Khoza said: “This isn’t an advert – it’s a political statement. An attack on the president, his ministers and government as a whole.”
Da F@k?

I watched the video... did I miss something?

Was Mr Khosa refused an FNB account or something?

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
FNB made a huge blunder here it pains me to say. If they lose even one government municipal contract due to this then the campaign will inevitably be a big loss for them. As a business it is a poor decision. However, as a decision by individuals of concience it is top top top form and I applaud them for having the guts to create this debate in society, where all other businesses are too afraid.

I'm a proud FNB client today.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
FNB made a huge blunder here it pains me to say. If they lose even one government municipal contract due to this then the campaign will inevitably be a big loss for them. As a business it is a poor decision. However, as a decision by individuals of concience it is top top top form and I applaud them for having the guts to create this debate in society, where all other businesses are too afraid.

I'm a proud FNB client today.
I wonder how much does ANC cabinet members owe FNB or any other ANC loans or overdrafts which is outstanding, should there be any???

Mouse

Expert Member
With censorship not being an option, the only alternative available to FNB in the face of such serious allegations was to take the responsible decision to withdraw the interview clips
So the only alternative to being censored is to censor ourselves willingly?

HosstheBoss

The ANCYL responded to FNB’s removal of the videos by calling the bank’s actions “cowardly” in a statement, and demanded the release of all the videos.
That sounds like a double dare!

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
I never saw these ads, but I get the sentiment from reports. And I think FNB should stick to being a bank. Or just throw out money at whatever issues they're concerned with.

You're a bank. Not an NPO. :rolleyes:

Rahl

Its actually a very good speech. Whether she wrote it or not is beside the point. I would not be surprised if it finds traction with a lot of young people including the ANCYL supporters, though the higher ups might not like it due to a perceived insult to them.

icyrus

Executive Member
Not surprised FNB are backtracking. First Rand has many ties with the ANC and will not endanger their favor there. I expect some low level staff to get the boot over this.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Not surprised FNB are backtracking. First Rand has many ties with the ANC and will not endanger their favor there. I expect some low level staff to get the boot over this.
Low Level?
I don't see how this could've gone to air without CEO approval.
I doubt Michael Jordaan would have not known about/approved this.