Football-rugby double headers?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Soccer bigwigs are exploring ways of retaining the multi-racial make-up of crowds during the World Cup.

The chairman of the 2010 Local Organising Committee, Irvin Khoza, has suggested staging soccer and rugby double-headers as a way of continuing social cohesion. He believes the plan has revenue-generating potential that will prevent the new stadiums from becoming white elephants.

The concept is modelled on the Super Bowl, a big attraction on the US sporting calendar.

"We have to explore the feasibility of staging soccer-rugby double-headers, build it up to a major event that brings the country to a standstill by bringing together South Africans of all races," he said.

"Soccer City can host a Chiefs-Pirates and a Blue Bulls-Lions double. It can be an AmaZulu-Golden Arrows and Sharks-Stormers double at Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban.

"The experts can investigate the logistics, such as whether the grass can withstand both sports, the change-over of goalposts and the marking of the ground."

He wants to sell the idea to the PSL and rugby authorities.

"It will be a way of sustaining these wonderful monuments we have built, keeping them profitable and ensuring unity continues in the country.

"I believe we must find a way of creating an annual event that can capture the imagination of the country in the same way the Super Bowl does in the US."

World Cup Local Organising Committee chief executive Danny Jordaan said soccer faced an even bigger challenge - to maintain the non-traditional football crowds.

"What the World Cup has shown is that many communities in South Africa are fanatical about football," he said.

But most whites and Indians shunned the local soccer league, he said. The only time they attended in droves was when European and English teams came here for friendlies.

"We need to create the kind of product that will attract those people to return to the stadiums," he said, adding that the PSL could take a leaf out of Indian Premier League cricket.

"The IPL was a new event. It came to SA and filled every stadium. It had players fans wanted to see. Their officials created a product that business wanted to invest in."

He said the country should try to attract stars who were approaching their twilight years .

"Perhaps we should speak to players like Deco, Samuel Eto'o or Didier Drogba to come wind up their careers here."

Major league soccer in the US adopts a similar approach by luring superstars left with a few years of their playing careers to boost the league's profile.

Times Live

I'd be all for the double headers, but there will be problems about how to split the stadium rent and gate takings. it could wok, and should be really fun. Saying that they hope to model it on the Super Bowl would mean that they are looking to do it only a few times (or once) per year, in a sort of 'Super Sport Weekend', with events all over the country.

I'm not so sure about getting older star players though, MLS can do it because of the amount of money that the players can make in the USA. SA doesn't pay the players near enough to make that viable.

Pitbull

Verboten
So I pay one price to watch both games?

No thank you.....

Even if the price is the same I'll rock up for the Rugby game and leave when the soccer start and vice versa.

Tarantula

Why are rugby fans so anti football? There were outcries about football being played at Loftus, I think even a few petitions were started. On the flip side Soweto was more than happy to welcome rugby to the Orlando Stadium.

You guys really need to get a grip and play a part in racial integration in this country.

I for one, think this is a great idea and I'll go support the football AND rugby. I am not even a rugby fan.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Why are rugby fans so anti football? There were outcries about football being played at Loftus, I think even a few petitions were started. On the flip side Soweto was more than happy to welcome rugby to the Orlando Stadium.

You guys really need to get a grip and play a part in racial integration in this country.

I for one, think this is a great idea and I'll go support the football AND rugby. I am not even a rugby fan.
At least someone else likes the idea. Looks like most people wouldn't care much though, with only 2 people posting replies.

The_Pumpkin_King

Jedi Master
I'll be there!!! if i get a ticket that is, unlike my friutless attempt to get a SA vs NZ ticket thanks to computicket

Guantanamo

Expert Member
Ummm, field markings could be a problem. Even if they first game is at 1 and the second at 6 it will take more than 3 hours to paint over the football and do the rugby markings and lest not forget the sponsorships painted on the fields either.