Ford "reinforced" locks worth it?

RuhanSA079

Hi guys,

As some of you know, my Ford Fiesta has been broken into a while ago. I don't want to sell it, I love that car.
Anyway, I phoned the nearest Ford dealer, they quoted me like R5k for the replacement lock. (two weeks before the media dropped this steaming pile on Ford SA) Now, when I phoned them again today after the bad rap Ford had on their table for a while, the price dropped to R1.2k.

I feel that it would be useless to plonk money on this, and next day the lock broken again.
And is that "reinforced" locks really better?, or should I wait for the "hykee" locks? Or import it myself from the UK?

And from what I've heard, the "alarm" system upgrade/update is totally useless, making it more useless than the current config on the alarm system (Ford Fiesta Titanium model)

ATM I am driving around with a "modified" lock (lock twisting pins removed).
Just need to get a battery harness in-case the battery runs flat.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Agreed.

It should be a recall...
Yup, I mean it's like GM when they were here, had a recall on my car and fixed it. It was for an electrical cable that would cause issues with the battery. Ford would've probably charged for that

isie

Honorary Master
Hi guys,

As some of you know, my Ford Fiesta has been broken into a while ago. I don't want to sell it, I love that car.
Anyway, I phoned the nearest Ford dealer, they quoted me like R5k for the replacement lock. (two weeks before the media dropped this steaming pile on Ford SA) Now, when I phoned them again today after the bad rap Ford had on their table for a while, the price dropped to R1.2k.

I feel that it would be useless to plonk money on this, and next day the lock broken again.
And is that "reinforced" locks really better?, or should I wait for the "hykee" locks? Or import it myself from the UK?

And from what I've heard, the "alarm" system upgrade/update is totally useless, making it more useless than the current config on the alarm system (Ford Fiesta Titanium model)

ATM I am driving around with a "modified" lock (lock twisting pins removed).
Just need to get a battery harness in-case the battery runs flat.
It supposed to only be R155.25 (incl. VAT)

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
I wouldn't go for it yet. We're also waiting on our ecosport. Seeing as this isn't widespread yet, the criminals don't know about it yet, so they'll broke your lock. Again. Hopefully they'll be scared off by the alarm, but I wouldn't bet on it.

RuhanSA079

I wouldn't go for it yet. We're also waiting on our ecosport. Seeing as this isn't widespread yet, the criminals don't know about it yet, so they'll broke your lock. Again. Hopefully they'll be scared off by the alarm, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Agreed, but many members on Facebook (Ford broken into SA group) complained that the alarm upgrade made them even more angrier, many of them reporting the vehicles does not lock at all. Now, from a software developer's standpoint, the config changes/upgrade is rushed, and not TESTED PROPERLY. Such a shame.

Unless there is a PROPER alarm upgrade config change, I will then consider it, most not likely.

Since my vehicle was not new when I got it, no warranties came with the vehicle as far I can remember.

Zuner

Expert Member
Correct me if i'm wrong, as I understand it, the only issue here is that the driver door unlocks the central locking and alarm when its turned (forced or with key)
And that most cars from any brand locks can be broken in the same way the fords are being broken, only that they will not unlock all the doors/alarm as they are not linked to the central locking.

Assuming that's correct, then Fords only downfall is linking the central locking/Alarm to the driver door lock.
I have a 1st gen mk7 fiesta Ambiante, and since they only had key-to-door unlocking (no fob) I had a aftermarket (shurlock) alarm fitted. Which actually 'fixed" the driver door unlocking all doors issue when they wired in the new alarm.