Fraudulent Vodacom Simswap

Joey63

My phone was stolen. Within a half an hour I blacklisted/blocked my phone. I had a new sim card an hour later. 36 hours later R12000.00 was withdrawn from my account using ewallet and cardless cash withdrawel. Although I’ve cancelled all my banking cards, what happens if they still have my telephone number/sim and details? This means that fraudsters still has access to my sim and all my personal details. Is there a remedy to cancel my contract with Vodacom and who do I report this to. I do not want to talk to an operator as I do not trust the system. I now feel that my identity and activities are being compromised. I would appreciate it if anyone can share their experiences with a similar incident and if so any remedies.

Craig

Honorary Master
That's with FNB. Something is odd, how could they access card less withdrawal without your cellphone banking pin?

And FNB blocks you cellphone banking after a Sim swap, has happened to me twice already.

Joey63

Even if reported, my details are still in the hands of the fraudsters. Does that mean I have to change my service provider, telephone number and email address?

Joey63

That's with FNB. Something is odd, how could they access card less withdrawal without your cellphone banking pin?

And FNB blocks you cellphone banking after a Sim swap, has happened to me twice already.
Interesting. But I believe the fraudsters have control over the sim swap. The report that I got at the store does not correspond with the date of my call and swap

Craig

Honorary Master
Even if reported, my details are still in the hands of the fraudsters. Does that mean I have to change my service provider, telephone number and email address?
You must first contact the bank. Let them advise you.

Joey63

That's odd, would it be possible to authorise login into your account with the screen locked? Still they'd need access to your account to begin with.
Not sure. Seems they hack it in some way. If I had known this I would have cancelled with my bank. I’ve seen a few articles on the web regarding this. They somehow get into your phone. The question is how will anyone know my cell phone pin?

marioat1

Expert Member
Not sure. Seems they hack it in some way. If I had known this I would have cancelled with my bank. I’ve seen a few articles on the web regarding this. They somehow get into your phone. The question is how will anyone know my cell phone pin?
They could look over your shoulder?

Mrlepen

That's odd, would it be possible to authorise login into your account with the screen locked? Still they'd need access to your account to begin with.
I wonder if they brute forced the app and also scanned the phone for data to use

Mrlepen

Brute force using password apps