Free PDF --> Excel Converter?

carstensdj

Expert Member
Hi There,

So the company i work with is moving away from quoting through Excel, and we are going to be doing quotes through our Pastel Accounting Software.

I have obtained all my suppliers pricelists, but some of them have only got PDF versions for me...

So instead of typing out 1000's of entries, i need something where i can select the info from a PDF and paste into excel, or something that converts it to excel automatically.

Can you recommend a good free software for this? Thanks!

ponder

Honorary Master
Surely when they create the PDF the source info is taken from a spreadsheet? Maybe speak to someone else in the company (person that creates the pdf) that might have better knowledge.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ja, it's a schlepp cos the conversion never works properly and takes hours to go back in and just correct the improperly converted data.
Far easier to make a company letterhead request for the actual Excel price list from the supplier.
They can edit out any sensitive data before sending it to you.

carstensdj

Expert Member
Surely when they create the PDF the source info is taken from a spreadsheet? Maybe speak to someone else in the company (person that creates the pdf) that might have better knowledge.

Spoken to the suppliers who submitted PDF's and they "claim" to only have a PDF for release, even after explaining to them why i need Excel...

ponder

Honorary Master
Spoken to the suppliers who submitted PDF's and they "claim" to only have a PDF for release, even after explaining to them why i need Excel...

Think they are talking kuk. Maybe tell them you will buy elsewhere as you can't load their data onto your system.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Speaking won't do it.

You need to draft it in the form of a written request on a company letterhead addressed to their management.
Don't deal with the slaves. Go to the top.

Skywalker42

I do this every year with the SARS Tax Deduction Tables (PDF).
I usethe TextPad (www.textpad.com) text editor, which has some good column oriented functions and
it can record keystrokes as a macro. For example you do something on one line and then
'play' the macro for every line in the file.
Paste the entire PDF into a text file and start to edit to get it in Comma seperated format
end then import it into excel.
PM me if you need help.

carstensdj

Expert Member
Thanks all for your responses!

I found a free converter, which converts quickly. I did however spend about an hour editing the Excel sheet so that it reflects clearly for the accountant. Only saw your letterhead thing after i've done everything @Garyvdh but thanks non the less okes!