freewebsitebuilder.co.za a good idea?

insect

I am the only IT guy in a small town, the local school (NPO) came to me asking for help setting up a website to promote the school, creating an online presence and help with Reunions (registrations and donations - pay portal).

I haven't done any web development before, so this will be a real time consuming job for me as I have to figure out everything from scratch + its not my area of expertise at all. I'm just a hardware repair guy, mistakes will be made!

Would taking a package from a site like freewebsitebuilder be beneficial in a situation like this, or should I just try and wing it with a place like Wix? Or rather just start getting quotes from professional builders?

They currently don't really have a budget for this, hence they didn't come to a professional designer - but if its the only way I might be able to convince them to start a funding campaign for it.

Any advice or designers that have a special package for NPOs? :X3:

John_Phoenix

Make 100% sure they sign a contract or disclaimer of some sort. Protect yourself legally, people get funny when money is involved.

Other than that, a pay portal is not cheap, and a designer of any sort, will be even more expensive, best to wing it with something like squarespace.

Also, figure out another way to do bookings (like sending emails)

All the best.

PS. Designers don't take NPO jobs.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I am the only IT guy in a small town, the local school (NPO) came to me asking for help setting up a website to promote the school, creating an online presence and help with Reunions (registrations and donations - pay portal).

I haven't done any web development before, so this will be a real time consuming job for me as I have to figure out everything from scratch + its not my area of expertise at all. I'm just a hardware repair guy, mistakes will be made!

Would taking a package from a site like freewebsitebuilder be beneficial in a situation like this, or should I just try and wing it with a place like Wix? Or rather just start getting quotes from professional builders?

They currently don't really have a budget for this, hence they didn't come to a professional designer - but if its the only way I might be able to convince them to start a funding campaign for it.

Any advice or designers that have a special package for NPOs? :X3:
I did some work for an NPO once. I won't do it again.

konfab

Honorary Master
The cheapest, easiest and most hastle free way to do it is to use a static site generator like Hugo to make the site. You can do a lot with Google forms and sheets as well. Then get a cheap shared hosting package.

What are the requirements for this?
Reunions (registrations and donations - pay portal).

squirrel

Expert Member
Send me a message, I might be able to assist with a Wordpress website on monthly payments. Some of your feature requests (registering for events, accepting payments / donations) shouldn't be an issue for anyone who has experience.