Frogfoot Gpon FTTH Fibre Performance

The_Good_Wife

Hi Stefan9,
are you able to post this workaround. I tried yesterday with VPN and UDP, but still the same. Thanks

stefan9

Executive Member
Hi Stefan9,
are you able to post this workaround. I tried yesterday with VPN and UDP, but still the same. Thanks
Talk to @TheRoDent . We first used a sd-wan black box which solved it 75%, did cause a little higher latency. Cool ideas then installed a tcp accelerator last monday and this seems to have solved the issue.

bumbledore

My feedback and response, in Milnerton, CISP, Frogfoot, 200mbps symmetrical.

Thankfully I usually get full throughput, torrents, steam and streaming.

Thrice since the beginning of August, my speeds have been throttled to exactly 50% of the throughput with a substantial packet loss.

Resetting the router has resolved it on all occasions but it's a hassle to have to reset it, and not what I pay for when I only get half my line speed.

Holding thumbs the network interventions from FF have the desired outcome.

Last edited:

lightpixel

Frogfoot came to install the new service - second line today.

Unfortunately they can't activate the ONT as there is "a fault" and the turn-around for faults is 3 days."

Once they resolve the fault I will get to testing.

no-broadband.jpeg

quovadis

Expert Member
I am a resident and have. They run an active Ethernet network far superior to GPON as each home gets its own Fibre to a switch, not GPON split 64 times. It will be worth having your pavement dug up as you will then truly have choice and not have to settle for second best.
The GPON/Active Ethernet argument is generally moot as the uplink from the switch is also contended. The whole debate is overrated as both have pros and cons and if managed correctly shouldn't be much of a difference to the end user. Frogfoot is probably overcontended/oversubscribed at some point if the ISP is not to blame which is most likely causing the issue or there may be an issue with your physical strand - they should be able to test this though.

bumbledore

Holding thumbs!! I'll try out this evening @bumbledore's suggestion to reboot fibre modem and Router.
True to form, got home this evening and my steam downloads were going at exactly 50% of line speed.
Reset router, back to full line speed.
For how long, I am not sure.
Had to do this twice over the last week (and a third time today).

This is becoming like ADSL, as someone else pointed out. I trust something will change for the better. I hope we're not on the merry-go-round of "no capacity", waiting months for more capacity, and then "no capacity" again a few months later.

While ISP blames FF, and FF blames ISP, we - the customers - pay full price for a 50% "best-effort" service. Which really isn't fair...

lightpixel

The GPON/Active Ethernet argument is generally moot as the uplink from the switch is also contended. The whole debate is overrated as both have pros and cons and if managed correctly shouldn't be much of a difference to the end user. Frogfoot is probably overcontended/oversubscribed at some point if the ISP is not to blame which is most likely causing the issue or there may be an issue with your physical strand - they should be able to test this though.
Fair point, but I speak from experience as we have an active Ethernet DFA circuit through Vox. It has never ever been down and tested below advertised speed for 1 day out of two years. But you pay for that, 8 grand a month with 6% escalation a year.

Frogfoot breaks business clients out over a different ENNI, even on GPON but they are now deploying business clients on their own GPON network, not DFA. I'm hoping the more business clients move to their GPON network, the better they will take care of it.

I don't know what Vuma Active E is like, I've seen love and hate stories on these forums over the past few days.

lightpixel

True to form, got home this evening and my steam downloads were going at exactly 50% of line speed.
Reset router, back to full line speed.
For how long, I am not sure.
Had to do this twice over the last week (and a third time today).

This is becoming like ADSL, as someone else pointed out. I trust something will change for the better. I hope we're not on the merry-go-round of "no capacity", waiting months for more capacity, and then "no capacity" again a few months later.

While ISP blames FF, and FF blames ISP, we - the customers - pay full price for a 50% "best-effort" service. Which really isn't fair...
@bumbledore, what make of router do you have?

lightpixel

Here we go again, as 20h00 approaches speed halves, iperf reflects the same result.
I’ll be dammed if there isn’t a Gremlin sitting in Teraco flexing a patch lead. :ROFL:

ten_two_eight.png

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Valued Customers,

This is an official response from Frogfoot.

Frogfoot takes feedback seriously as Frogfoot is committed to be the fibre provider of choice, and we pride ourselves on putting the customer first.

Frogfoot supplies the ISP a connection between the home and Teraco Data Centre in Rondebosch. The ISP is then responsible for supplying internet bandwidth to the home user.

When investigating performance issues, there are usually various factors involved,

• User’s wifi connectivity.
  • Device that is used for testing.
  • The connection to the Teraco Data Centre.
  • The ISP’s links to the internet.
  • The ISP’s links between international ISPs.
  • The capacity of servers to which the customer connects..

Frogfoot experienced capacity issues in the Milnerton, Parklands and Burgundy areas in early July 2019. This was resolved when the network capacity was upgraded on the evening of 8 July 2019.

There were also a few other individual reports of which the root cause was identified, for each case raised, and successfully resolved after confirming with the customer involved.

Recently Frogfoot has only had a report from a single ISP and has been working with this ISP for the past week to try and get to the bottom of these complaints.

Preliminary testing of the Frogfoot portion of the network has shown no issues. Frogfoot together with the ISP started installing extra testing points in 16 August 2019. Installing all the relevant testing points should be completed by 19 August 2019. Thereafter more testing will be done in order to narrow down the issue, based on the results and trends identified.

Frogfoot, together with this ISP’s assistance, is committed to get to the bottom of any issues that users have been experiencing.

Frogfoot encourages any users to please log speed related issues with their ISP. Please insist that the ISP supply you with a Frogfoot ticket number to confirm that it has been logged.

Kind Regards,

The Frogfoot Team
That would be me I assume, and boy have you pissed me off with this **** tonight that you pulled. I want a call at 8am tomorrow with an explanation.

EDIT: Peter called me, he explained the situation to me, and I've been given a promise that I like, we'll see if you keep it.

Last edited:

Napalm

Expert Member
more capacity is "imminent" as telkom used to say.... (meaning it could be 1week or 1decade)

daneza

This is garbage. I don't buy it.

Backhaul capacity problems don't magically get fixed with a reboot. A router that needs to be repeatedly rebooted has firmware or overheating issues.

Or maybe you're just slowly lowering everyone to a comfortable peak rate and hoping the router rebooters are the only ones that notice.
/dons tinfoil hat

The_Good_Wife

Nope, reboot of ONt nor Router solved the problem. I'm so frustrated, I'll write a letter to the CEO of my ISP. Maybe it helps, maybe not, but I'm gonna get rid of this frustration.

bumbledore

Back to 50% of line speed this morning, Steam downloads, Cape Town.
Just reset the router. Let's see whether my experiment of 1 still holds up.

Nope. Appears my luck has run out. Still throttled to 50% line speed; it spikes above that but very quickly thereafter settled at 10MB/s. Maybe my other experiences were just a coincidence.

Can I pay R650 for my internet, please? Considering 50% throughput is what I seem to get now, more often than not.

I think this is pretty obvious what is going on: FF is oversubscribed and lacks capacity, in spite of capacity upgrades performed recently. Just wasn't good enough. Feels like being back on ADSL all over again. Didn't realize how much I missed having a shitty, degraded service and paying full price for it.

Last edited:

MEIOT

Expert Member
In Blouberg - same issue on FF and HomeConnect - frustrating as all fukk - power off and then back on the CPE - speeds seem to go back to expected speeds and then drops again. HomeConnect assures me it's not an issue on their side - I believe them.

ld13

Honorary Master
In Blouberg - same issue on FF and HomeConnect - frustrating as all fukk - power off and then back on the CPE - speeds seem to go back to expected speeds and then drops again. HomeConnect assures me it's not an issue on their side - I believe them.
@Frogfoot Fibre - it is time that the cause of all the recent reports from frogfoot-based clients be determined. The fibre in our area have been live for almost a month now and I have a boatload of peeps ready to sign up, but I simply cannot recommend any package to anyone, since it is quite clear what will happen:

ISP> <-blames-> <FNO

I would prefer if we could stop passing the buck and get down to solving the issues.

Frogfoot takes feedback seriously as Frogfoot is committed to be the fibre provider of choice, and we pride ourselves on putting the customer first.
That is a step in the right direction! :)

abudabi

Expert Member
Hmm.. FF rep last seen Saturday after posting that 1 and only response.