Frogfoot/ RSA Web any good?

juBa

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the general consensus of Frogfoot and RSA Web is?

Reason being is that they have a 1000mb up and 1000mb down package for R1497 in my area whereas I’m currently paying around R1k for my VOX/ Openserve capped account - which I really cannot complain about, haven’t had any major issues with openserve or VOX in the 5 or so years with them

I need uncapped and the faster speeds will help with all the people downloading/ streaming in the house (in understand I won’t get entirely 1000mb and all that…) for the extra R4/500 I don’t paying for an uncapped at that speed (my home network is setup to support the connection already)

I just want to find out if Frogfoots network infrastructure is stable in the PTA East area/ in general and if RSA Web a good ISP

Thank you

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
It’s stable, my latency to the UK is in the 165-170ms range with jitter in the range of 1-2ms.

Customer service does suck and they route all Cloudflare traffic to Cape Town but other than that no major issues or outages.

cobusv

i would give them a try, see they running some nice specials at the moment, and also give you a 1G sim for in the event your fibre goes down.. so nice failover..

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
i would give them a try, see they running some nice specials at the moment, and also give you a 1G sim for in the event your fibre goes down.. so nice failover..
Exactly why I say their customer service is horrid.
Existing clients like myself haven’t been notified of those discounts, I pay R1069 for 100/100 uncapped. I kinda have 200/200 because of the speed increases but I’m not trying to win a competition, all I need is stable 100/100.

Even with their new pricing for 200/200, I’m paying more.
I assume their sim is part of the router offer, I never took the router so I don’t have the sim but the mobile data on the sim doesn’t roll over so it’s not really worth it.

juBa

Thanks, I took the leap and they installed yesterday with activation this morning. Installation team were late by 2 hours but they were amazing. Very professional and a very clean installation job especially considering our house was a bit tricky to get it where I wanted it. I had to pay in an extra R1000 for the installation because only 30m were covered.

Speed wise, I’m only getting up to 500mb down and 900mb up on my 1gig line via Ethernet (all cat 6 cables, all gigabit routers and switches) and 400mb up and down on WiFi (this is understandable)

I’ve created a ticket so let’s see what happens, I understand I won’t get the full 1 gig but if upload can almost reach 900mb then download should, in theory, be able to come close to that too.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Thanks, I took the leap and they installed yesterday with activation this morning. Installation team were late by 2 hours but they were amazing. Very professional and a very clean installation job especially considering our house was a bit tricky to get it where I wanted it. I had to pay in an extra R1000 for the installation because only 30m were covered.

Speed wise, I’m only getting up to 500mb down and 900mb up on my 1gig line via Ethernet (all cat 6 cables, all gigabit routers and switches) and 400mb up and down on WiFi (this is understandable)

I’ve created a ticket so let’s see what happens, I understand I won’t get the full 1 gig but if upload can almost reach 900mb then download should, in theory, be able to come close to that too.
Yeah FF is nice, RSAWEB on the other hand…

Can you post a screenshot of a speedtest from fast.com and speed.cloudflare.com showing all the stats.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
speed-cf-rsaweb.png

fast-rsaweb.png

ping-rsaweb-engage-cloudflareclient-com.png

As you can see above, latency to Cloudflare is 22ms because it's going to the CPT node, this normally affects browsing and it also can make your apps feel slow. Two weeks ago the CPT node went down so all traffic got sent back to JHB so latency became 44ms. I opened a ticket with RSAWEB and they basically said their data server is in CPT, to which I questioned how they peer at the JHB exchange for other traffic like Microsoft, the ticket is still open.
Happened again.
rsaweb-cf-40ms.png

So I found a VPN server in JHB.
speed-cf-psychz.png

fast-psychz.png

ping-psychz-engage-cloudflareclient-com.png

Anyway back to the network, using https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/cool-ideas-fibre-isp-–-feedback-thread-4.1121604/page-95 as a ref.
AWS can have it's own issues so don't take it super seriously.

AWS London - 162.9ms
ping-rsaweb-35-176-0-252-amazonaws-com.png

AWS Frankfurt - 198.8ms
ping-rsaweb-35-156-63-252-amazonaws-com.png

GCE Belgium - 166.5ms
ping-rsaweb-110-51-211-130-bc-googleusercontent-com.png

MS UK South - 173.2ms
ping-rsaweb-uks-gssv-play-prod-xboxlive-com.png

MS UK West - 176.3ms
ping-rsaweb-ukw-gssv-play-prod-xboxlive-com.png

As per above some services handle their own routing/transit and break it so having flexibility is nice.
AWS Frankfurt - from 198.8ms to 173ms
vpn-ec2-35-156-63-252-eu-central-1-compute-amazonaws-com.png

There's tons of ways to figure what should be ideal.

Last edited:

juBa

Thanks for all the info man!

Here are my speed test results. Something doesn't smell right here. All my switches and routers are gigabit and my cables are cat 6. Its weird because I heard only good things about RSAweb before choosing an ISP

cloadtest.PNG
fast.PNG Google.PNG mybb.PNG speedtest.PNG

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Thanks for all the info man!

Here are my speed test results. Something doesn't smell right here. All my switches and routers are gigabit and my cables are cat 6. Its weird because I heard only good things about RSAweb before choosing an ISP
Weird, I thought you were in PTA?
I’m not networking guy but from the threads I’ve seen by various people, I’ve forced the 1Gbps connection from my router to the ONT so no auto-negotiation.
As some have seen 1Gbps but it actually isn’t so maybe try that?

Also made that mistake, looking at their rating. Most of their praise seems to come from people in CPT.
I tried to upgrade my connection yesterday, just to take a look but their platform doesn’t allow that so it just opened an order ticket.

You can also try and find your max speed achievable on Wi-Fi then try using the Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 mobile app.
Don’t use the Windows app as that sucks, rather use the WireGuard app. If you need a config file drop me a PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuu

juBa

Gosh I didn't even notice my test server addresses were in CPT :')

But even when I change them to JHB/PTA I still get the same result.

On Wifi I get +-400mb down and +-350mb up (this is from the routers wifi, I'm waiting to get a good price to upgrade my older 100mb unifi APs with newer AC versions)

They're asking me for router logs and CPU utilization and also they don't seem like they believe me when I say my cables are cat6. I'm a noob with all of this but if the line does +-900mb up then shouldn't it be the same down? And if it does that up then doesn't that rule out CPU bottlenecks + incorrect used 100mb routers and switches and incorrect cables from my side? Especially since the speed tests test down and then up separately

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Gosh I didn't even notice my test server addresses were in CPT :')

But even when I change them to JHB/PTA I still get the same result.

On Wifi I get +-400mb down and +-350mb up (this is from the routers wifi, I'm waiting to get a good price to upgrade my older 100mb unifi APs with newer AC versions)

They're asking me for router logs and CPU utilization and also they don't seem like they believe me when I say my cables are cat6. I'm a noob with all of this but if the line does +-900mb up then shouldn't it be the same down? And if it does that up then doesn't that rule out CPU bottlenecks + incorrect used 100mb routers and switches and incorrect cables from my side? Especially since the speed tests test down and then up separately
Yeah it doesn’t seem like an issue with your setup. I sometimes have issues with speedtest servers but the Vodacom Business server in PTA seems consistent.
Is the Frogfoot infrastructure new? I only got connected in Feb/March.

juBa

I actually used that server as well, same result unfortunately.

If I remember correctly, they trenched this entire lynnwood area in 2019. So relatively new, I only changed over from openserve, which I had for many years, because of the price/ speed increase ratio.

If they can’t sort it out I’m getting a pretty stable 4/500mb down so then they should just go ahead and change the package to a 500/500 one.

But we’ll see what the support team comes up with. They say you get one hour free onsite technician help, I’m going to use that and watch what he does like a hawk as most of these support guys assume the majority of people don’t have a basic understanding of how this all works