FSCA raids MTI offices

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
FSCA raids MTI offices

The Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA) has raided the offices of Mirror Trading International (MTI) in Stellenbosch and Polokwane, as well as the home of two of its leadership team members in Durban.

The FSCA seized electronic and telephonic records from cell phones, notebooks, and PCs at the three locations.

“On application by the FSCA, three separate high courts in three separate jurisdictions issued warrants for the FSCA to search premises relating to MTI and seize relevant information,” the FSCA stated.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
in case any newcomers rock up here, the rabbit hole goes deep:

Death

I don't know how these people get brainwashed by this type of crap. People I know personally won't listen to reason and it boggles the mind how they defend it. After all of this yesterday, they still posting about how great it is - the one even started making custom MTI face masks.

j4ck455

Executive Member
In partnership with SAPS. In the voicenote Cheri posted she speaks of 15 policemen at her home.
According to the article, the FCSA conducted the raids, there is only one mention of SAPS:
“We do not conduct criminal investigations and our investigations are in terms of the Financial Sector Regulations Act which is aimed at protecting the South African Investing public and to ensure a secure financial sector exists,” the FSCA said.

“Our investigations may lead to referrals of evidence to other authorities, or to the SAPS.”

The FSCA explained that its next step is to examine the evidence and compare it with other information that it has obtained.

“On conclusion, we will make decisions involving whether we should take administrative steps against any person and or refer the evidence obtained to other bodies.”
That does not mean that SAPS personnel were not present to support the FCSA execute the search warrants that the FCSA had obtained, but it is unlikely that SAPS personnel would have participated in the searching and seizure as that would likely raise issues with chain of custody.

Also believing anything that "Cheri" says is probably not a good idea, even when it appears to be true it might be riddled with white lies.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
According to the article, the FCSA conducted the raids, there is only one mention of SAPS:

That does not mean that SAPS personnel were not present to support the FCSA execute the search warrants that the FCSA had obtained, but it is unlikely that SAPS personnel would have participated in the searching and seizure as that would likely raise issues with chain of custody.

Also believing anything that "Cheri" says is probably not a good idea, even when it appears to be true it might be riddled with white lies.
SAPS did not conduct the raids, the FCSA did, as is stated clearly in the article.
Pointless argument is pointless.

saor

Honorary Master
In partnership with SAPS. In the voicenote Cheri posted she speaks of 15 policemen at her home.
You're the last person I expected to be quoting Cheri as a useful source of anything.

Death

Why would SAPS be interested in raiding them? They cannot even do a good job of stopping rape/murder/high jacking/burglary etc but now you expect them to be involved in a cybercrime/fraud syndicate? There are special units for these types of crimes and until there is factual evidence given to them by financial institutions, they won't just investigate them without just cause.

acidrain

Executive Member
I don't know how these people get brainwashed by this type of crap. People I know personally won't listen to reason and it boggles the mind how they defend it. After all of this yesterday, they still posting about how great it is - the one even started making custom MTI face masks.
When it comes to "easy money" you will be surprised how quickly logic disappears. One of those Bitcoin FB groups, I saw someone warning they got scammed by someone on FB offering FX Trading for their bitcoin. Said they learnt their lesson but not 2hrs later they punting another one.

Reminds me of working with some of my staff. You can try to your hearts content to warn them about making mistakes but they will not learn until you start touching their wallet.