Fuduntu Calls it Quits

MyWorld

Executive Member
I can't believe my eyes. Just as Fuduntu was getting rave reviews and moving up the charts, just a week after announcing their latest release the Fuduntu project "voted to end-of-life Fuduntu Linux." It seems developmental issues are forcing this decision, and signals a time when ultimately all GNOME 2 users will end up having to move on.

Lee Ward stated the reason for their decision was "support for GTK2 has decreased dramatically. With this, apps using GTK2 have been moved to GTK3 and old versions are no longer being maintained for either bugs or security flaws."
http://ostatic.com/blog/oh-no-fuduntu-calls-it-quits

So Gnome 2 is now finally dead and laid to rest it seems.

And in other news, KDE 3.5 still churns on... not that I know of anyone who is using it.
http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Priapus

Executive Member
Interesting. Me thinks it's time to move onto newer technology.

ponder

Honorary Master
Something else that seems to be dropped is Cinnamon by some distros as there seems to be conflicts with gnome(3) shell. Well I know Arch and Manjaro will no longer support it.

MyWorld

Executive Member
What are they then going to replace it with?

EDIT:
If Arch removes it then I'll have to either switch My wife's PC and the Netbook over to KDE or move back to Mint...

Netbook is the problem now, and what is going to happen now to Cinnarch?
:(

Last edited:

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Gnome 3 absolutely rocks my world. I could never go back to gnome 2 or cinnamon.. or even KDE. I am forever ruined (or until someone ups the game and makes a better desktop than gnome3).

MyWorld

Executive Member
It seems the main reason, according to Arch devs, is that Mint, the official maintainers of Cinnamon, are dragging their feet with the development of Cinnamon:
I agree about dropping cinnamon because it is impossible to work with Linux
Mint projects. They work with what they have instead of what is coming. So
now we have this gnome 3.8 problem, and then we would have gnome 3.10
problems. We can't work with their packages.
Even If we get to work cinnamon all patch up, doesn't matter, they won't
merge any commit until ubuntu has gnome 3.* in their repos and Arch Linux
would almost be making a fork xD

http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=3413.0

And Cinnarch project will be closed and a new project will be launched, if I understand the devs post correctly:
I'm setting up something to still have Cinnamon, and also, a guy from Arch and some others are helping now since the announcement to port cinnamon to gnome 3.8, which is great. So, we're still making the move, changing name and switching to GNOME as our default DE, but we're gonna try to still offer cinnamon to install it in your system.

Needs some testing the idea
http://forum.cinnarch.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=731

MyWorld

Executive Member
Gnome 3 absolutely rocks my world. I could never go back to gnome 2 or cinnamon.. or even KDE. I am forever ruined (or until someone ups the game and makes a better desktop than gnome3).

I really dislike Gnome, since the early Gnome 2 days. I just can't get used to Gnome, no matter what distro I tried or configuration I concocted.
I think the longest I tried riding out using Gnome was a month, and sweet mercy when I switched to another DE.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master

Agree but it uses a lot of keyboard shortcuts and thats what the guys hate.

I went back to KDE after I had problems with Gnome 3 but over the weekend I discovered the cause and going back to Gnome 3.

ponder

Honorary Master
I really dislike Gnome, since the early Gnome 2 days. I just can't get used to Gnome, no matter what distro I tried or configuration I concocted.
I think the longest I tried riding out using Gnome was a month, and sweet mercy when I switched to another DE.

So which DE do you prefer?