German man convicted for mass murder while Auschwitz guard

what? an old man that was a soldier many many years ago.

how did he have a choice other than throwing is own life away.

its not like him saying no would of made any difference, he would just be dead and the war continued.

this guy had to live his entire life with what happened. death might have been more peaceful.
 
If i didn't want to do national service for the SADF, i would"ve had to go to jail.
Wonder what this guys options were.

Or if he actually did anything other than follow orders,

He wasn't drafted into the army, he voluntarily joined the SS.
 
so funny some people, "i would of "killed myself" if I was him"

yeah right!
 
One of my German relatives was thrown out of a third floor balcony and murdered as a teenager by an SS press gang because he refused to join them.

It is easy to judge people and their decisions with 80 years of time to obscure the realities of life back then.

Should this guy be persecuted for his role in wartime - probably. Should we exercise some compassion of a 90 year old man - I think so. In this instance I think a suspended sentence would be the humane way to go.

so funny some people, "i would of "killed myself" if I was him"

yeah right!

I wonder what the people saying this would think of the Sonderkommando's? Should the surviving member of this also be imprisoned for their crimes?
 
Last edited:
For all you know that 90 year old man could well be the turd that did the throwing.

yeah, I bet many of my distant family members who I don't know were also killed in ww2.

I cant pretend to know what its like in a situation like that, all I do know is that I will try survive and get through it.
 
One of my German relatives was thrown out of a third floor balcony and murdered as a teenager by an SS press gang because he refused to join them.

It is easy to judge people and their decisions with 80 years of time to obscure the realities of life back then.

Should this guy be persecuted for his role in wartime - probably. Should we exercise some compassion of a 90 year old man - I think so. In this instance I think a suspended sentence would be the humane way to go.



I wonder what the people saying this would think of the Sonderkommando's? Should the surviving member of this also be imprisoned for their crimes?

oh yeah I forgot about the jewish people who helped the Nazis under threat of death, that's true. are they being prosecuted for their crimes? how is it different from a german or other being forced to do what they did..
 
For all you know that 90 year old man could well be the turd that did the throwing.

Valid point - and even if he was I do not think that imprisoning a 90 year old for a crime committed during one of the darkest periods of human history is necessarily the answer.
 
Did he admit to that? Or was there some kind of proof that he went volunteered for it?

I wonder if your family was provided protection if you volunteered, I bet if you were forced(drafted) you were sent to the front lines. sounds evil enough.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X