Getflix & DSTV Now

scud

Expert Member
Last couple of days I have noticed that Dstv Now won’t work when using any of the Getflix dns servers.
If i remove the getflix dns it just works fine.
Wonder why dstv bother doing this

Anyone else notice this ?

Naks

Expert Member
Probably because DSTV is only meant to work in the Southern Africa territories.

I had the same issue when I wanted to watch an F1 race while in the Maldives - it would not allow me to do so because the IP I was connecting from was outside of the DSTV territories.

scud

Expert Member
Probably because DSTV is only meant to work in the Southern Africa territories.

I had the same issue when I wanted to watch an F1 race while in the Maldives - it would not allow me to do so because the IP I was connecting from was outside of the DSTV territories.
But I’m in SA :)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Last couple of days I have noticed that Dstv Now won’t work when using any of the Getflix dns servers.
If i remove the getflix dns it just works fine.
Wonder why dstv bother doing this

Anyone else notice this ?
Mine works just fine.

If you've changed your DNS servers, it means that your IP addresses look like they're from somewhere else, i.e., not ZA
No, only specific traffic (netflix, hulu, etc) is routed. It's one of the main benefits of using a smart dns service rather than a VPN.

Azg

Expert Member
I have the same problem with Smartdnsproxy and Showmax.

scud

Expert Member
With getflix, I used to add a primary and secondary dns server on my router
Then a few days ago dstv now got blocked , wouldn’t from loading on any ios device.
Fixed by using the Spanish dns for both primary and secondary and it now works ok.
So it must be dstv up to their nonsense again. Only reason I use getflix is for bbc

steco777

Quick tech lesson. If they were smart enough they could figure it out easily.This error occurs when dstv checks license at license.dstv.com this routes to a 52 ip range . Low and behold Netflix and other services also do part of their region checks at this Ip range why ? because they are AWS servers. I assume these proxy services are redirecting traffic to their US servers at this IP range. Dstv checks this to see if it’s coming from an SA IP address and if it isn’t it will throw out forbidden error and gives you an unable to playback.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
With getflix, I used to add a primary and secondary dns server on my router
Then a few days ago dstv now got blocked , wouldn’t from loading on any ios device.
Fixed by using the Spanish dns for both primary and secondary and it now works ok.
So it must be dstv up to their nonsense again. Only reason I use getflix is for bbc
Using the same dns for both makes no sense.

scud

Expert Member
Using the same dns for both makes no sense.
I know , but it was the only configuration / combination that worked. I assumed it had to do with the fact that the Spanish dns server is very new. None of the others worked with dstv now

All seems back to normal today , weird

Azg

Expert Member
Anyone with a workaround to this? Everytime I want to watch DSTV I have to switch off SmartDNSproxy.