Globalfoundries gives up on developing 7nm chips

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Globalfoundries gives up on developing 7nm chips

Globalfoundries Inc., one of the world’s largest semiconductor makers, has dropped out of the race to develop the most-advanced production technology, a move that will increase the electronic industry’s reliance on Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.

The Milpitas, California-based company, which has plants in New York state, Dresden, Germany, and Singapore, said it’s shifting resources to improving and extending existing techniques and giving up on developing 7 nanometer technology.

[Bloomberg]

PhireSide

Executive Member
So GF will provide us with 14nm+++++++++++++ by 2025? Intel must be pleased:sneaky:

kolaval

Expert Member
Ja but if they struggle there's a good reason.
Probably issues with the electrons

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
It requires huge investment capital to research and then launch a smaller process node.

I think GF has never turned a profit, according to costs, it will take at least $20bn in research get to 7nm. They just don't have the capital (investors/parent company doesn't want to invest in it) and even if they did, they do not manufacture enough chips to even break even, if they even get enough customers.

Completely expected move tbh.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I know, I was just taking the mickey out of Intel for their never-ending refinement of the 14nm process
Well, they couldn't properly launch their 10nm due to it, it was worse than the 14nm++ CPUs. The earliest 10nm they'll launch will be on an improved process, so 10nm+ min.