Gnome3 desktop has finally launched

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Well let me first give it a try before I condemn it like in the past. The concept is great and I really hope they have executed it correctly.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
I installed it onto a virtual machine... so far not impressed :/

corp

I think one has to give it a go for some time to get used to it before it can be decided for sure if this is a good change.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Just installed it (Again) and its much better now. The only issue is with onboard graphics on my work pc. Might work better on my home PC. Will give it a spin for a week.

EDIT: After looking at the Videos on gnome3.org, I see the one installed on my work PC is not the same.

Last edited:

stricken

Expert Member
i hate in when users "dont like new interfaces"... what ever happened to learning? what ever happened to engaging with the new? the hacker culture? frankly... if someone wants to WHINE about Gnome3, they are using the wrong operating system and should rather go back to the safe (and insecure) confines of Windows or OSX.

Bleh. "i dont like it. i want that one. " - little britain.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
From the internet images, it looks nice enough. Will test it out this weekend.

MickZA

Executive Member
I'm playing with Gnome 3 on Fedora 15 beta, so far "interesting" best sums up my attitude to it but I'll reserve judgement until the Fedora 15 final release (currently scheduled for end May).

At the moment I prefer Gnome 3 to Unity but I feel both will undergo a "shake down" period in their current guises. Ubuntu 11.10 & Fedora 16 will be a better time for comparison.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
i hate in when users "dont like new interfaces"... what ever happened to learning? what ever happened to engaging with the new? the hacker culture? frankly... if someone wants to WHINE about Gnome3, they are using the wrong operating system and should rather go back to the safe (and insecure) confines of Windows or OSX.

Bleh. "i dont like it. i want that one. " - little britain.

Some of us been through more interfaces than you can dream, I actually use to run WindowMaker till 2005. Today I moved on from the "ooooh look new shiny" mentality to I just want things that work. I prefer productivity which is probably the reason I spend 80% of my time on the OS in the console.

And to be frank the whole philosophy about Linux is about choice. If I don't like KDE, I can use Gnome, or enlightenment or XFCE.
To call someone "little brain" because he does not agree with you, highlights the lack of intelligence.

Hicklethumb

Some of us been through more interfaces than you can dream, I actually use to run WindowMaker till 2005. Today I moved on from the "ooooh look new shiny" mentality to I just want things that work. I prefer productivity which is probably the reason I spend 80% of my time on the OS in the console.

And to be frank the whole philosophy about Linux is about choice. If I don't like KDE, I can use Gnome, or enlightenment or XFCE.
To call someone "little brain" because he does not agree with you, highlights the lack of intelligence.

I quoted Little Britain. The TV show. No one here has a little brain. Lets leave that for the news24 forums

Avenue

Expert Member
The big change for many users on Gnome3 will be the new, simpler window control buttons. In place of the usual three maximise, minimise and close buttons, Gnome3 has just one button, a close button. Part of the rationale for this is that there is no panel to minimise applications to, so there is no need for a minimise button.

this seems a little odd to me- its like saying we dont have a taskbar in windows xp any more, so there is no need for a "start" button... I use minimize and maximize all the time, so I would love to know what kind of work flow they have set up that now makes minimize redundant.

MickZA

Executive Member
@ave - right clicking in the title bar gives a number of options including minimise. A lot of window / workspace options are now controlled by "Activities" (top left) but it's difficult to describe you need to play with it.

New_Grandmaster

I really wanna use a Linux based operating system, but I can't. Adobe products don't work on it and I live for Fireworks, Dreamweaver etc. :mad: