GoDaddy Employees Used in Attacks on Multiple Cryptocurrency Services

Sollie

Executive Member
GoDaddy Employees Used in Attacks on Multiple Cryptocurrency Services

Fraudsters redirected email and web traffic destined for several cryptocurrency trading platforms over the past week. The attacks were facilitated by scams targeting employees at GoDaddy, the world’s largest domain name registrar, KrebsOnSecurity has learned.

The incident is the latest incursion at GoDaddy that relied on tricking employees into transferring ownership and/or control over targeted domains to fraudsters.

... more

Link

Sollie

Executive Member

surface

Honorary Master
Couldn't happen to a more deserving company.
I have 2 sites with them and never had much issue with them. Anything I am missing?

p.s. Of course I own godaddy, that is why I am posting positive comment.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
I have 2 sites with them and never had much issue with them. Anything I am missing?

p.s. Of course I own godaddy, that is why I am posting positive comment.

Google, my friend. They're one of the scummiest out there. Happy to suspend their own customers, no warning, when a big internet name tells them to. Happy to suspend all your domains on the basis of suprious spam reports to one or a few of your domains, and then charginging you $199 per domain to reactiveate it (as one reseller with 1300 or so domains found out). Also happy to take your money for whois privacy but give your private information to anyone threatening to sue them. Seaking of whois, if your contact e-mail is invalid and they receive a complaint, they'll notify you via your invalid address to update your details, and when you don't respond to the e-mail you couldn't have received, they'll happily delete your domain and sell it to someone else. No effort to phone you or write to your physical address, or maybe to try to contact the sites you host to notify you. No opportunity to appeal either, because f**k you, that's why. Also, routinely getting sued by your employees for nickel & diming them isn't a good look.

There's likely more out there - I stopped paying attention to them some time in the late 2000s when I became aware and moved away.

Last edited:

Sollie

Executive Member
I feel sorry for anybody having a domain with them. They're nothing but a mercenary money making machine.

There is a reason all types of nasty characters love them, why they have also become the world's largest registrar, hijacked ICANN and blatantly ignore the ICANN RAA and even their own policies. Because they can and it pays royally.

Imagine a simple phish that takes three weeks to take down. Or sending your spam complaint, complete with all the personal details they insist is required, to the spammer who then threatens you. I could go on and on.

Not a nice crowd.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
There was another complaint, and I forget by whom or which domains. This was around 2008 or maybe earlier. Someone had a "high value" domain - short/common word, maybe relevant to another brand, I don't remember - registered with them. The domain somehow change from being set to auto-renew, to manual. Once it came up for renewal, they ownder somehow didn't get any notifications at all. And when the domain registration lapsed, they allowed someone else to register it.

Now, while there were a few of these, there's an element of he-said-she-said to it, and I don't remember what the outcomes were. But the issues with them suspending domains without making proper effort to contact their client first, and then hiding between the vaguest possible TOCs is ispecially bad when you consider their smaller competitors like Key Systems demonstrate putting their customers first by keeping a domain like the piratebay (I don't remember which TLD) up and available despite what must be phenomenal pressure from the RIAA and pals as well as law enforcement in a variety of countries.