Going back to Windows 10 from Linux

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just create it with Rufus and boot via UEFI.

Problem solved. If you don't you might find issues later if you have a nvme installed where windows tells you the hdd is not a bootable drive ect.

UEFI has never failed me before with a new install.

JustAsk

Expert Member
Thanks I'm making a new install disk and trying this, uefi is disabled, but it still does not show the drives to boot from.
Your usb stick should show up regardless if its bootable or not. Your stick may be faulty. Another thing...some laptops have a problem booting from USB3 sticks. Try using an usb2 one to eliminate that possibility.

You don't give a lot of info.

How are you "making a new disk"?
Are you using WIN7?
What program are you using?

Use RUFUS as many has said..

carnagelan

Remember though, if you formatted the flash drive as UEFI you cannot use it to boot as bios and the other way around.

And if secure boot which is a seperate option to UEFI is on you cannot boot from a flash drive anyway.....
You can boot from uefa. As long as your bios supports it and the OS which windows 10 does

10i

Expert Member
Sorry for the long silence. My wifi went down for days and then other things happened.

I used Etcher to create a Bootable install disk, after downloading the ISO from Microsoft website. I have installed Manjaro, using this same flash drive and also Windows 10 in a different Lenovo laptop using it.

So my laptop should support booting from USB3 disks. If I select boot from UEFI, then I cannot specify which drive to boot from. If I select Legacy mode, then I can choose between the DVD drive, HDD and flash drive. I feel like pulling my hair out right now.

10i

Expert Member
Thanks, I will try that when I can get to a Windows PC again.

Installed Linux Mint, with no hassles. My laptop seems to be able to boot from anything other than UEFI boot media.

10i

Expert Member
Fastest way to a bad day? Remove grub from mbr and have windows fail at installing a new bootloader.

Fastest way to a bad day on a mac? Touch the power button at the wrong time...
Fasted way to a bad day? Need to do something on your PC and ...

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to comment. I really do appreciate it