Good small car for less than R70k

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
My wife is doing about 60km on her daily commute and the old Astra is quickly nearing 200,000km. I recently had it serviced and soon afterwards discovered the head gasket is on the brink. It started loosing water (it does not leak) and it was not too keen on starting. We decided to have the gasket replaced and do a major service while their at it (cambelt etc). The last thing I want is for the car to break down in traffic - both my wife and I had enough of that when we where growing with in VWs :D

So the idea is to have the Astra in a sound condition and then sell it and get something smaller with less mileage to replace it. We looked at used Fiat Pandas and Ford Kas but the mechanic that works on my cars said we should steer clear of those mainly because of parts supply that could become an issue. Other cars we were considering are the old shape Picanto and Spark LS.

Ideally we want something with less than 80,000km on the clock costing less than R70k. No VWs.

Any suggestions on makes, models and dealerships? Is R45k a realistic selling price for a 2001 Astra with close to 200,000km?

Cool E

Expert Member
Buy a brand New Tata India or Chery QQ or Chana Benni or Geely LC. You will still left with some molla.

Loyal Brand? try used Toyota Tazz( TT) or VW Chico. If lucky you can get Toyota Yaris with that amount.

mpower111

Excellent route would be a toyoto corolla or as Venda Boy stated, a tazz. I'd get a 98-02 Corolla 160i GLE. Cruises well at 120 as well having the lightest steering wheel ever. Looking to get one for myself as a run around.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
About the Tazz, I am ideally trying to replace a 2001 model car with a 2007 model or later. So the 1980's Corolla design is not a route I want to go down. Seems like Picanto us a clear winner then. Should I even look at ex-rental ones?

Cool E

Expert Member
About the Tazz, I am ideally trying to replace a 2001 model car with a 2007 model or later. So the 1980's Corolla design is not a route I want to go down. Seems like Picanto us a clear winner then. Should I even look at ex-rental ones?

yes, you can.

Fader4

Expert Member
good decision to steer clear of golfs, polos etc. I would personally recommend a tazz but if you are looking for something a bit more modern you wont go wrong with a hyandai getz, very reliable and cheap to maintain.

Fader4

Expert Member
Buy a brand New Tata India or Chery QQ or Chana Benni or Geely LC. You will still left with some molla.

Loyal Brand? try used Toyota Tazz( TT) or VW Chico. If lucky you can get Toyota Yaris with that amount.

WTF? :wtf:

There is a reason those cars are cheap.....

pboy

Expert Member
honda jazz second hand.. u can get a 1.4i for about 65k... and just might be able to get the 1.5VTEC for 70k...or just a tad more..

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Excellent route would be a toyoto corolla or as Venda Boy stated, a tazz. I'd get a 98-02 Corolla 160i GLE. Cruises well at 120 as well having the lightest steering wheel ever. Looking to get one for myself as a run around.

This.my dad has a 98 130.its at 235000km iirc and it hasnt given him a days trouble. this would already be good,except he hasnt serviced it in a few years.just tops up oil a bit every few months.kanidood kar.

D3x!

Banned
I reckon you could get say R30-35k max for it if everything else is on good condition (assuming a private sale, trade in i reckon like R20-25k)

picanto is a good option imo, tazz, yaris, getz etc

ex rental is ok imo, just as always be careful when buying 2nd hand

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Trade in offers on the Astra currently are between R35k and R40k. So I am hoping to get more privately.

Right now the newest car in our budget is the Picanto and it seems quite a lot of them are ex-rentals. Seems like that is the way to go then.

About the Chinese, the Geely LC is the only one I think is worth while at the moment but right now I'm not in a position to take a gamble :)

D3x!

Banned
Trade in offers on the Astra currently are between R35k and R40k. So I am hoping to get more privately.

Right now the newest car in our budget is the Picanto and it seems quite a lot of them are ex-rentals. Seems like that is the way to go then.

About the Chinese, the Geely LC is the only one I think is worth while at the moment but right now I'm not in a position to take a gamble :)

roux i reckon you are optimistic with those values, have you actually checked or ball parking it?