Goodman Gallery sorry - Paul Mashatile

antowan

Honorary Master
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Politics/Goodman-Gallery-sorry-Mashatile-20120528

Johannesburg - The Goodman Gallery regrets hurt caused by the display of a painting depicting President Jacob Zuma with exposed genitals, Arts and Culture Minister Paul Mashatile said on Monday.

"I had a meeting with the owner of the Goodman Gallery, Lisa Esser, who said she regrets the pain that the display of The Spear had caused to Zuma, his family as well as to the nation," Mashatile said.

"She had no intention of hurting or upsetting anyone, but understood that it did hurt people and our nation. The piece was removed from the gallery."

antowan

Honorary Master
They are effectively labeling everybody that stood up for them as idiots... This is a mother ****ing scandal!

This gallery can go to the dogs now for all I care if this story is true and the context is correct...

nightjar

Executive Member
They are effectively labeling everybody that stood up for them as idiots... This is a mother ****ing scandal!

This gallery can go to the dogs now for all I care if this story is true and the context is correct...

The gangs of rioters are "marching" on the gallery later today.
By the end of the day it may have been burned to the ground.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Zuma and the ANC are like the "Brett The Hitman Hart" of African Politics. Getting everyone in their path to "Tap Out".
Intimidation = Sharpshooter

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Politics/Goodman-Gallery-sorry-Mashatile-20120528

Johannesburg - The Goodman Gallery regrets hurt caused by the display of a painting depicting President Jacob Zuma with exposed genitals, Arts and Culture Minister Paul Mashatile said on Monday.

"I had a meeting with the owner of the Goodman Gallery, Lisa Esser, who said she regrets the pain that the display of The Spear had caused to Zuma, his family as well as to the nation," Mashatile said.

"She had no intention of hurting or upsetting anyone, but understood that it did hurt people and our nation. The piece was removed from the gallery."

Good on Lisa Esser for addressing the emotional aspect which did indeed hurt many people and our nation, something we often forget. Her apology in no way detracts from the fact that there are strong messages behind the painting which we can all agree with.

ponder

Honorary Master
Good on Lisa Esser for addressing the emotional aspect which did indeed hurt many people and our nation, something we often forget. Her apology in no way detracts from the fact that there are strong messages behind the painting which we can all agree with.

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

jikajoe1

Then they came for me

isn't what history always teaches us all the time.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

Then they came for me

It's the privileged who are the most apathetic, SA's safety relies on them to be more active.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master

And so censorship wins because it "offends" those who choose to take offence.

What a lovely world we live in when we have to fear expression and intolerance and all because of a painting.

South Africa hasn't moved forward at all. It's still stuck in the same backwater pit as before.

It's the privileged who are the most apathetic, SA's safety relies on them to be more active.

Its safety?

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin

Something people often forget.

Flanders

Honorary Master
She had no intention of hurting or upsetting anyone, but understood that it did hurt people and our nation and after receiving numerous death threats as well as threats of the gallery being burned to the ground the piece was removed from the gallery."

More like it I'd say.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
I think we musn't be too quick to judge the gallery or City Press. It's easy to support the cause from behind a keyboard or when speaking to your friends, but these people faced very real and personal liability and safety issues. I also didn't see any of the other major publications supporting them. People were basically saying "yeah we support you, but we won't publically put ourselves in the ANC's firing line."

If it were some big corrupion scandal, I suppose it would be different, although in principle I find censorship despicable. Disgusting behaviour from the ANC.

Since we're doing the quote thing, have some Voltaire:

"It's dangerous to be right when those in power are wrong."

Mila

Honorary Master
the ANC is bussing in supporters. Let’s hope they behave and do not burn the gallery.

Albereth

Honorary Master
the ANC is bussing in supporters. Let’s hope they behave and do not burn the gallery.

Or make a mess at Zoo Lake?

And If I was the gallery I'd be closed today.

The memorandum? Put it in the post. Oh, they are on strike too? What a pity.

Mila

Honorary Master
Or make a mess at Zoo Lake?

And If I was the gallery I'd be closed today.

The memorandum? Put it in the post. Oh, they are on strike too? What a pity.
Seems like one more reason for the ANC not to create jobs. More people to bus around bullying people.

Last edited:

Albereth

Honorary Master
Seems like one more reason for the ANC not to create jobs. More people to bus around bullying people.

Mind you, a trip to a gallery is about as much culture as ANC supporters can expect from their leaders.

Creag

The Boar's Rock

Depends on what their instructions are. But yeah, let's hope for some sanity and "healing".

rrh

Expert Member

A very small point: how many of the 'hurt' have seen the actual painting ?