Google Drive Protection

Brentontw

Is there any way in which I can make the google drive folder on my laptop password protected? If my laptop gets stolen then that folder is easy access to most of my cloud based storage. Also I've heard that the apple version of the mobile app has the option to set a pin code for when you attempt to access to application, why can't I find this on the android version?

Dean

Expert Member
Boxcryptor app

Try an app called Boxcryptor.

It facilitates encryption of certain folders (or all) within your Google Drive/other with a password.
Works on all major platforms, desktop and mobile.

Last edited:

ODTech

Is there any way in which I can make the google drive folder on my laptop password protected? If my laptop gets stolen then that folder is easy access to most of my cloud based storage. Also I've heard that the apple version of the mobile app has the option to set a pin code for when you attempt to access to application, why can't I find this on the android version?
You could enable two step authentication for your google account and password protect your phone. Without any recovery options you pretty much have to format the phone to get back into it. Print out some backup two step authentication codes though as it uses a mobile authenticator to generate them, if you loose your phone you have to then go through a whole process to get back into your account. With the backup codes you can get into the account to remove the old authenticator.

Also set up anti theft that will format the phone remotely as soon as it connect to the internet after it's been set to missing.

As for your laptop, don't use the desktop app so there will never be a local copy for a thief to snoop around in. Google apps is perfectly capable of handling regular documents.
If you must use the desktop app then make sure you have a strong password and encrypt your "home" folders. I haven't played around with bitlocker but i think it should work.

Slingshot

Expert Member
If you're running Windows 10, you can use Bitlocker. I created a virtual harddrive which is encrypted with Bitlocker using a password. The Google Drive folder is then added to this virtual drive. I set it up in task scheduler to close the Google Drive app and unmount the virtual drive when I lock my profile or sign out.

Brentontw

Have now setup 2 step authentication as well as making use of boxcryptor and have installed on my phone as well, must say I am extremely impressed with boxcryptors mobile and desktop interface and ease of use.

Thank you all for your suggestions:)

NomNom

Executive Member
You can install Google Authenticator on your mobile as well to help make the logging in process less irritating.