Google drops out of Pentagon's cloud competition

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Google drops out of Pentagon's cloud competition

Alphabet Inc.’s Google has decided not to compete for the Pentagon’s cloud-computing contract valued at as much as $10 billion, saying the project may conflict with its corporate values.

The project, known as the Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure cloud, or JEDI, involves transitioning massive amounts of Defense Department data to a commercially operated cloud system. Companies are due to submit bids for the contract, which could last as long as 10 years, on Oct. 12th.

[Bloomberg]

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
First casualty.

Who will be second?

And who will be the ultimate winner?

I'll go out on a limb and say that the sole winner will grow fat, lazy and bloated before the 2-year mark.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
First casualty.

Who will be second?

And who will be the ultimate winner?

I'll go out on a limb and say that the sole winner will grow fat, lazy and bloated before the 2-year mark.
Given the way DOD and the like have operated recently, I would actually think Google dropping out has pretty much decided the winners already, it will be split between Amazon and Microsoft, now just comes the tussling for who gets how much of the pie.

Executive Member
Isn't this what AWS GovCloud was made for?

Solarion

Honorary Master
I just can't see google being able to claim any humanitarian or moral high ground again after getting mixed up in that lot. Anything military related just leaves a stain you can never wash off.