Google Fiber rolling out 20Gbps

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Google Fiber launching 20Gbps plan for homes

Google Fiber — a broadband Internet and IPTV service in the US — will upgrade some of its residential users to a 20Gbps service by the end of the year.

The initiative is the first project of GFiber Labs — a development hub focused on pushing the envelope of fast home and business Internet solutions.

Wonder when we will see higher speeds locally. Gigabit is cool and all, but my e-peen speed is starting to feel small slow, need more e-peen speed

20Gbps is obviously overkill, almost no website can service that speed, but what this would do is increase the basic speeds offered by FNOs.... wish some SA FNOs would upgrade already, 100Mbps should be the bare minimum for fibre....R399/100Mbps etc.

A shame 5G turned out to be such a damp squib, since now there's no real downward pressure on fibre networks from competition.

Last edited:
Wonder when we will see higher speeds locally. Gigabit is cool and all, but my e-peen speed is starting to feel small slow, need more e-peen speed

I remember seeing Google 1Gbps Fibre in 2013 and I was on 20Mbps ADSL thinking "That would be awesome one day".

I will look forward to 20Gbps for an affordable price in 8 to 10 years.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu
20Gbps is obviously overkill, almost no website can service that speed, but what this would do is increase the basic speeds offered by FNOs.... wish some SA FNOs would upgrade already, 100Mbps should be the bare minimum for fibre....R399/100Mbps etc.

A shame 5G turned out to be such a damp squib, since now there's no real downward pressure on fibre networks from competition.
As mentioned in the Telkom 2TB LTE thread, 5G on that package would be awesome.

I guess first response will be "let's cover 50-75% Geo with FTTH first then we will keep reducing mb price until we achieve universal access
So Vumatel strategy seems like best one Core, Reach and Key
If only all FNO's could follow this strategy SA FTTH could improve faster no matter is Vumatel Key or reach which is covering 35% Geo as long as national FTTH access is above 50% Geo

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

I'm on 1gig fibre.
I don't really see the value to be honest.
Yeah, it's fast, but how much speed do you need to stream in HD?

I'm on 1gig fibre.
I don't really see the value to be honest.
Yeah, it's fast, but how much speed do you need to stream in HD?
A 1Gbps line isn't speed, it's capacity. You have the largest pipe commercially available in SA, it's not like you have a Ferrari, you have a Truck. 50Mbps would be a Suzuki Swift and 20Mbps is a scooter. It's about how much your line can carry. Yes you aren't saturating your line fully but you could of you wanted to. You could connect 100 devices at the same time and non of them should see a speed dip or be throttled.

I guess first response will be "let's cover 50-75% Geo with FTTH first then we will keep reducing mb price until we achieve universal access
So Vumatel strategy seems like best one Core, Reach and Key
If only all FNO's could follow this strategy SA FTTH could improve faster no matter is Vumatel Key or reach which is covering 35% Geo as long as national FTTH access is above 50% Geo
I disagree with that take, yes coverage is important but we see that doesn't always translate into uptake, FNO's seem content with a 30-40% conversion rate for their network rollouts. I'd rather see them increasing speeds and dropping prices and not overbuilding.

So if anybody were to switch to XGSPON, that would bring downward pricing pressure, they could end up offering per Mbps prices under R1 instead of an average of R5/Mbps for a 200Mbps line like it's currently.

Back