Google Inbox Shutting Down in March 2019

mr_norris

Expert Member
Inbox by Gmail has been a great place to experiment with new ideas like snoozing emails to later, as well as try the latest AI-powered experiences like Smart Reply, Nudges and high-priority notifications to help you stay productive.

Four years after launching Inbox in 2014, we've learned a lot about how to make email better—and we’ve taken popular Inbox experiences and added them into Gmail to help more than a billion people get more done with their emails everyday. As we look to the future, we want to take a more focused approach that will help us bring the best email experience to everyone. As a result, we’re planning to focus solely on Gmail and say goodbye to Inbox by Gmail at the end of March 2019.

We introduced the new Gmail in April this year, incorporating many of the same features you’ve come to love about Inbox plus newer features like Smart Compose, which helps you draft emails faster. Read more about how these features in Gmail can help you manage your inbox better in this post.

We know change is hard, so we’ve created a transition guide to help you switch from Inbox to the new Gmail with ease. All your conversations are already waiting for you in Gmail. See you there.

I saw this last night. I've been a fanboy of Inbox since I could start using it. Sad days. Fortunately they've posted a transition guide for people like me :D

I tried finding the appropriate section to post this under, figured it was IT news. If I made a mistake, please move it.

Source.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
And this is the thing that stops Google being a big player in the Enterprise space... they build new products and deprecate them at a retarded pace...

I prefer Inbox over GMail.....

ToxicBunny

Really? Gmail has always been available still...

I prefer the new Gmail with quick access to Calendar and Keep.

Its ok dude... we know you worship at the altar of Sergei...

Google are renowned for trying new products in the public realm, and then just deprecating them willynilly...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Ag nee fok man, I haven't used the normal Gmail interface since this launched.

Why do Google keep pulling this ****.

If Wave actually got pushed it would have been awesome today.

Does they "transition guide" include moving all your **** away from Google? ****ing muppets.

ToxicBunny

Ag nee fok man, I haven't used the normal Gmail interface since this launched.

Why do Google keep pulling this ****.

If Wave actually got pushed it would have been awesome today.

Does they "transition guide" include moving all your **** away from Google? ****ing muppets.

Yeah, I was very keen on Wave.... thought it was a great idea and a good start.

ToxicBunny

It's always been a testbed for Gmail so it's demise shouldn't be a surprise. Not sure what the big hoo-ha is?

Same with MS really.

Really? To the point that MS has a name for releasing a product and then randomly 4 or 5 years later just dropping it like a hot potato?

ToxicBunny

Yes there's a Microsft morgue.

Cool....

Do Microsoft have a name in the industry for this behaviour like Google do?

How many internally competing products have Microsoft released to the public and then dropped willy nilly?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It's always been a testbed for Gmail so it's demise shouldn't be a surprise. Not sure what the big hoo-ha is?

They certainly didn't have me sign a little disclaimer when first using it to say "listen we are just ****ing around a little with this and could kill it off at any time".

ToxicBunny

They certainly didn't have me sign a little disclaimer when first using it to say "listen we are just ****ing around a little with this and could kill it off at any time".

Precisely... it was billed as the future replacement for Gmail initially actually.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Cool....

Do Microsoft have a name in the industry for this behaviour like Google do?

How many internally competing products have Microsoft released to the public and then dropped willy nilly?
Ah now it has to be internally competing products?

ToxicBunny

Ah now it has to be internally competing products?

Ok then to stroke your little ego... ANY products..

Yes Microsoft discontinue products... but not anywhere near in the fashion that Google do... Microsoft do NOT have a name in the industry for this behaviour whereas your idol Sergei does...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The invitation only release for a long time and Gmail still being around wasn't a clue?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The invitation only release for a long time and Gmail still being around wasn't a clue?

It was always geared a different interface to Gmail itself with a more simplistic approach and different user experience. It hasn't been invitation only for YEARS now.

If it was still restricted to invitation only I could have sided with you. There is no reason to kill off the product though, stop development by all means but just leave it there as is.

Both with the web and app being split out from main gmail.

But it's fine this might just be the final push to pay Apple for iCloud storage expansion I can share with my whole family and not pay Google by being the product.

ToxicBunny

FFS.... now I have to deal with adverts masquerading as bloody mail messages in Gmail again.... :mad::mad::mad: