Google Pixel 3

Tcyte

With google making inroads into the smartphone market, the much anticipated Google Pixel 3 was launched yesterday. The device is powered by the Snapdragon 845 with a small ram of 4Gb. One of the major highlight of the device is the 5.5 color rich Oled display on the Pixel 3 and 6.3 inch on the 3XL.
Other notable features are as follows
1. Wireless charging
2. Design: The notch-free smaller
3. Software: Android Pie
4. Camera: Dual lenses on the front and one rear camera
5. Non-removable Li-Ion 3430 mAh battery

Additionally, the Pixel 3 duo has a new-and-improved Pixel Visual Core — the standalone chip that deals with processing HDR+ photos taken with the phone. This might arguably make their camera the best on the market....
We have to wait and see.....

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_3_xl-9257.php

Attachments

genetic

Honorary Master
Google have lost the plot. OnePlus and the likes are making much better phones for a lot less money.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
The notch is insane, and when disabled it looks exactly like a Pixel 2 XL

HOWEVER

Here is an awesome feature that I think we all certainly need locally... some real innovation coming through

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Nokia Androids Ones are the new Nexus imo
Fair comment - but consider that in order to attain the "nexus" title, the developer community needs to give its blessing and start going crazy with custom ROMS, Kernels, etc.

I think Android One might help with that... but I also think they are making too many devices.
So, if they can stick to one of each (flagship, mid-range, budget) and make sure they do them excellently then i think it will help them get there.

The cool thing about the Poco is that its just one phone, just like the old nexus phones, and oneplus after that.

The closest from Nokia would be the 7 plus for me. It seemed to hit a nice sweet spot of good (but not necessarily top) specs + pure android.

But then came that damn Poco.

ronz91

Expert Member
Fair comment - but consider that in order to attain the "nexus" title, the developer community needs to give its blessing and start going crazy with custom ROMS, Kernels, etc.

I think Android One might help with that... but I also think they are making too many devices.
So, if they can stick to one of each (flagship, mid-range, budget) and make sure they do them excellently then i think it will help them get there.

The cool thing about the Poco is that its just one phone, just like the old nexus phones, and oneplus after that.

The closest from Nokia would be the 7 plus for me. It seemed to hit a nice sweet spot of good (but not necessarily top) specs + pure android.

But then came that damn Poco.
As far as I recall, OEMs handle Android One devices, Google just does software and updates.

Dave

Honorary Master
People complaining about the iPhone throttling when the battery degrades probably won’t be happy to hear that Google applies significant thermal throttling to the Pixel 3 even when new.

Predictably, the Pixel 3 doesn't quite achieve the same results we've seen from competitors using the same chip. More importantly, however, the Pixel is unable to maintain its slightly lower results over repeated runs of most benchmarks and experiences severe throttling. Forcefully cooling it helps greatly and allows it to put out sustainable performance.

In GeekBench, for example, the cooled Pixel 3 could put out multi-core results upwards of 8,300 run after run. Off our activecooler, however, the highest it got was 8,146 and run after run the score would drop a little until eventually reaching a low in the 6,900s which it could then sustain. That's with major competitors pushing 9,000 points.
https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_3-review-1847p4.php

Dave

Honorary Master
More Pixel 3 problems.

D158C739-DC3B-40FA-96D9-9F7C3E2E0748.jpeg

Since users have been getting their Pixel 3 units in hand, reports have been hitting Reddit, Google’s own Product Forums, Twitter, and even in lengthy YouTube videos describing this overheating problem. Experiences vary, but the general consensus here is that some users are noticing that their phones can get excessively hot during charging, resulting in a total device shut down.

Typically speaking, charging of any kind can cause your phone to run more on the warm side, but these Pixel 3 overheating reports are certainly a cause for concern. Apparently, when the device is both charging (most often while wireless charging) and performing an action of some sort, it can heat up dramatically. In many instances, video calls seem to be the trigger for this to happen, but others report a simple video stream to cause the issue.

What’s concerning here is that it’s not a problem solely with a specific type of charging. Users have noted it on slower third-party chargers, Google’s Pixel Stand, and even on some wired chargers in select cases.
https://9to5google.com/2018/11/08/pixel-3-overheating-charging/

But it appears both the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL may have a big problem related to charging.

Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL released on November 1, but it appears users are already experiencing overheating issues with the Google hardware that is causing them to switch off entirely.

Owners have taken to Reddit to explain the problems they are experiencing.
One said: "I'm experiencing overheating and shutdown without warning during video calls while charging.

"It happened once during a Zoom (mobile app) conference call, and again during a WhatsApp video call.
"For the Zoom call I was using the Google Pixel Stand, and for the WhatsApp call I was plugged into an Anker 39W Car Charger."
The user explained they have "never" experienced such issues with other Android hardware.

They went on: "I've used these apps for years on other Android phones the exact same way and never experience overheating.

"I will add that using the Google Pixel Stand hasn't been fast to charge. I have no case on the phone, and when I first got it, I put it on the charger at 24 percent and it indicated 'Charging rapidly (10 hr until full)'.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...le-Pixel-3-charging-problem-reported-by-users