Google will stop making tablets

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Google will stop making tablets

Google will no longer make tablet devices and will focus instead on other hardware like laptops, Computer World reports.

The Pixel Slate – which is Google’s most recent tablet product – will continue to receive software updates, but it will cease to be manufactured and will not have a successor.

Thor

Honorary Master
That sucks. We now essentially have Apple dominating the market (Samsung tablets aren't that good anymore.)

And I use my tablet daily. I have a laptop and a pc, but the tablet is still my go to for home use.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
tablet in no way measures up to a PC/laptop in terms of performance and functionality. I read on my tablet and play games and once in a blue moon endure attempting to look something up. Apart from anything else the mobile version of Google just sucks big time. Results are so restricted as to be practically useless. I would never write on it, or work on it.

I just wish that these products were not designed to be one use only - battery dead = bin. They are too expensive to be discardable.

Swa

Honorary Master
Next to go: phones. Just like google to keep trying stuff and stopping.

tablet in no way measures up to a PC/laptop in terms of performance and functionality. I read on my tablet and play games and once in a blue moon endure attempting to look something up. Apart from anything else the mobile version of Google just sucks big time. Results are so restricted as to be practically useless. I would never write on it, or work on it.

I just wish that these products were not designed to be one use only - battery dead = bin. They are too expensive to be discardable.
Buy battery, open up, replace.

skimread

Executive Member
What the world really need is the tablet/laptop hybrids like the Microsoft Suface book where the components are behind the screen. It looks like a normal laptop and has the specs of a high end laptop but it also a tablet. Why is Microsoft a software company able to do it but not Google or many of other laptop manufacturers?

3WA

Executive Member
What the world really need is the tablet/laptop hybrids like the Microsoft Suface book where the components are behind the screen. It looks like a normal laptop and has the specs of a high end laptop but it also a tablet. Why is Microsoft a software company able to do it but not Google or many of other laptop manufacturers?
Do you need high end specs with mobile operating systems like Android or iOS? For surface prices, I'd want the option to work on the device, and can’t imagine working on a mobile operating system.

Lupus

Honorary Master
That sucks. We now essentially have Apple dominating the market (Samsung tablets aren't that good anymore.)

And I use my tablet daily. I have a laptop and a pc, but the tablet is still my go to for home use.
Apple has always dominated the tablet market, all Android tablets actually sucked due to Android not being tablet optimised. This basically leaves Huawei, Samsung and Apple as tablet makers. Maybe some other dodgy chinese brands.

skimread

Executive Member
Do you need high end specs with mobile operating systems like Android or iOS? For surface prices, I'd want the option to work on the device, and can’t imagine working on a mobile operating system.
I don't want a mobile O/S. I need a high spec laptop I can install the OS what I want and use VM machines on. Intel laptop processor with virtualization support. That's why I said why is Microsoft one of the only ones I know of that has managed it with the surface book where it looks like a normal laptop, has high end specs and can work as a tablet too. The more competition they have the better but no one else is really coming to the party

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Apple has always dominated the tablet market, all Android tablets actually sucked due to Android not being tablet optimised. This basically leaves Huawei, Samsung and Apple as tablet makers. Maybe some other dodgy chinese brands.
Que? It is/was very much optimised. Apps can scale and widget support.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Que? It is/was very much optimised. Apps can scale and widget support.
Nope it wasn't,there weren't any tablet optimised apps either like on iPad, the last time Android honestly tried was with Android 3 which was what 8 years ago now?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Nope it wasn't,there weren't any tablet optimised apps either like on iPad, the last time Android honestly tried was with Android 3 which was what 8 years ago now?
Haven't experienced that. Many Google apps are optimised and a host of 3rd party apps as well.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Haven't experienced that. Many Google apps are optimised and a host of 3rd party apps as well.
Yup not one, they are designed for phones, but the only good thing is that due to Androids flexibility due to the wide range of hardware it does work.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I don't want a mobile O/S. I need a high spec laptop I can install the OS what I want and use VM machines on. Intel laptop processor with virtualization support. That's why I said why is Microsoft one of the only ones I know of that has managed it with the surface book where it looks like a normal laptop, has high end specs and can work as a tablet too. The more competition they have the better but no one else is really coming to the party
Maybe because they didn't really. Awkward hinge, no usb type c, buggy firmware updates etc. etc.

skimread

Executive Member
Maybe because they didn't really. Awkward hinge, no usb type c, buggy firmware updates etc. etc.
The hinge seems awkward as it is both a hinge and release mechanism. As long as it doesn't break I don't have a problem with it.

The surface book 2 was released in Nov 2017. They recently dropped the price on Amazon so I am guesing the next version will come out soon soon which I am sure will have USB C support.

Lupus

Honorary Master
It's still not completely untrue, although it's a much more level playing field than predicted.

Google just did it badly and lost at the game.
I don't blame Google, I blame the OEMs, they each had a tablet and decided they'd skin Android and of course the lack of support was also not great. I mean you get a top of the range Sony Tablet Z a few days after release, it gets one update in it's lifetime??? Same as Samsung and other OEMs, there are still tablets floating around with android 4 running on them.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I don't blame Google, I blame the OEMs, they each had a tablet and decided they'd skin Android and of course the lack of support was also not great. I mean you get a top of the range Sony Tablet Z a few days after release, it gets one update in it's lifetime??? Same as Samsung and other OEMs, there are still tablets floating around with android 4 running on them.
As bizarre as it may sounds I thought that Blackberry Playbook would be the one to change the game and compete with Apple while Android was struggling to find itself in the tablet market.

Sadly they just lost the plot on all fronts.

Lupus

Honorary Master
As bizarre as it may sounds I thought that Blackberry Playbook would be the one to change the game and compete with Apple while Android was struggling to find itself in the tablet market.

Sadly they just lost the plot on all fronts.
Problem was, it came into the market at roughly the same time as iPads and Android Tablets, with Blackberry OS being horrid in apps it wasn't meant to be.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Because as a tablet OS it's horrendous.

Their entire problem was and still is the hybrid approach they took to it instead of making a dedicated device with a dedicated purpose.

Or at least have full tablet mode switching of some kind with a properly tablet-like interface when mobile.