Government has learnt lessons from e-tolls

deweyzeph

Executive Member
If we got rid of all these useless government cabinet ministers we could easily afford to pay for road maintenance just from their salary bill alone. These wastes of oxygen serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever. The country would actually run better without any president or cabinet.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
If we got rid of all these useless government cabinet ministers we could easily afford to pay for road maintenance just from their salary bill alone. These wastes of oxygen serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever. The country would actually run better without any president or cabinet.

Strangely enough. I agree. Give the regulatory bodies teeth, and privatize the rest into public benefit companies.
All major decisions are incentivised referendums. Decentralize and streamline everything.
(Yeah, yeah, I know - snowball's choice in hell of working, but that is why I'm not in charge.)

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Strangely enough. I agree. Give the regulatory bodies teeth, and privatize the rest into public benefit companies.
All major decisions are incentivised referendums. Decentralize and streamline everything.
(Yeah, yeah, I know - snowball's choice in hell of working, but that is why I'm not in charge.)

Exactly. Running the country is far too important to be left in the hands of politicians. It's scary to think that these morons are making all the important decisions that affect all of our lives.

TimTDP

Expert Member
Why is Peters blaming the Gauteng government.
She insisted the system must work

TJ99

Honorary Master
The only lesson they're learning is to be more sneaky with their money-siphoning scams. Huge stainless steel gantries with a nice purple glow at night are hard to ignore.

Insint

Expert Member
Exactly. Running the country is far too important to be left in the hands of politicians. It's scary to think that these morons are making all the important decisions that affect all of our lives.

I agree. This is a good example to the world why the president of the country should be educated and at least have a degree.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
She accused the ANC-led Gauteng government of approving the e-tolling system and then making a U-turn later.

She acknowledged that many individuals, groups, and political parties, including the African National Congress, had called for alternative methods to be found to fund the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project

Sorry, but who exactly is making u-turns now? I call BS.
Next she will claim that they are listening to the people. //One hand clapping

grok

Honorary Master
"The lessons we learnt are not to implement any project that has not been accepted by all in its funding models," Peters told a panel in Pretoria reviewing the e-tolling system.

Reminder to Peters, the public has also not accepted the funding model of Nkandla.

When can we expect that issue to be resolved?

Personally I think we need a new/better government, this one takes too long & it cost us too much waiting for them to learn.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Government has learnt lessons from the Gauteng e-tolling system, which is now largely being rejected, Transport Minister Dipuo Peters said on Tuesday.

Peters called on the panel to encourage motorists to continue paying their e-toll bills, adding that she hoped the panel members had e-tags.

Second quote tells me they haven't learnt a damn thing :erm: :rolleyes:

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master

krycor

Honorary Master
The provincial leg of the ANC only changed their tune when they lost 10% of the votes.. Now they desperately trying to distance themselves from the national party to save face in the coming local elections.

Sadly for them Gauteng populous does not accept anything that affects their pocket easily and votes sway..(I knew this after being here for 3-6months.. So really.. How did they not think this will bite). If this was done in the eastern cape as a 1st implementation we would have seen complaints.. But it would have been squashed a lot faster. Basically.. They implemented the system in the 2nd worse province to try and force this down the throats of locals.

Lesson to be learnt? Know how get populous to accept your ideas and what makes a difference (Granted malema's party and 6month strike had a huge role too).

While petrol price as a mechanism for recovering costs is suggested and rejected as unfair to other provinces (something I totally agree with), I also think that a petrol levy in Gauteng only might be something worth considering. But will they accept.. Hell no. This opens a larger can of worms for the ANC & SANRAL as it starts dividing the revenue which will quickly be followed by the Western cape pushing for their own dividing of funds resulting lots of open books and auditing which gives them nightmares with the usual.. What about under serviced areas of national interest (not nkandla but hey.. Was sanral involved I. That road?).

I don't see this being resolved and think that unless the ANC come close to or lose gauteng, they will just do as they please. That being said.. With the amount of maladministration & corruption here I suspect the DA under Helen Zille might bite off more than they can chew right now if they took over simply because to me.. When you have a leader who is very procedurally effect throughout career, and don't see too many doing the same behind her.. Then you kinda get the feeling that it would result in them being spread a bit too far resulting equally bad things slipping thru.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Will anything change - nope. The dictators will just create more of a perception that the people agree

deweyzeph

Executive Member
While petrol price as a mechanism for recovering costs is suggested and rejected as unfair to other provinces (something I totally agree with), I also think that a petrol levy in Gauteng only might be something worth considering. But will they accept.. Hell no. This opens a larger can of worms for the ANC & SANRAL as it starts dividing the revenue which will quickly be followed by the Western cape pushing for their own dividing of funds resulting lots of open books and auditing which gives them nightmares with the usual.. What about under serviced areas of national interest (not nkandla but hey.. Was sanral involved I. That road?).

What is always forgotten in all this is that we are ALREADY paying for road improvements through our income tax. It's not the taxpayers problem that the money meant to be used for road improvements is being eaten up by corruption, social welfare grants and a massive government salary bill. Any sort of cost recovery for road improvements is double taxation pure and simple and should not be tolerated in any form. There is more than enough money available for road improvements but it's all being wasted on social grants and salaries.