Greenland Is Falling Apart

McT

The Humble Scot!
The Greenland Ice Sheet is the world’s second-largest reservoir of fresh water sitting on the world’s largest island. It is almost mind-bogglingly huge.

A new study finds that the Greenland Ice Sheet added a quarter inch of water to global sea levels in just the past eight years. The research, published Monday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, covers nearly 20 years previously not included in our detailed understanding of the troubled Greenland Ice Sheet. It finds that climate change has already bled trillions of tons of ice from the island reservoir, with more loss than expected coming from its unstable northern half.

More @ The Atlantic
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/04/how-much-ice-has-greenland-lost-climate-change/587431/

cerebus

Honorary Master
So good news, then. Better agriculture, better for people.
You are out of your womanborn mind.

https://omg.jpl.nasa.gov/portal/about

Greenland’s melting ice affects the whole world. Greenland’s ice sheet contains enough water to raise sea levels by 7.4 meters (25 feet) worldwide.

So no, the net result of Greenland's ice melt is a devastating loss of arable land globally.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I think that's a rather premature doomsday prognosis, and improbable in the extreme. But let's see what happens over the next five or six centuries.

That said, I tend to be more with Singer & Avery that global warming is unstoppable, every 1500 years or so.

We need to adapt.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I know people who will say that this is fake news :(
Depends on what you mean by "news".

My own position is that reports of melting Greenland Ice Sheet are true. That's news. It's a verifiable fact, observable by comparing then to now.

What isn't "news" is all the future stuff, the predictions of calamity and horror that lie ahead. That hasn't happened, it's not verifiable, and neither can it be. Like all possible futures, it hasn't instantiated. It's potential, not actual. Other factors can be at work that we are not considering sufficiently and in the right order. So it's not news, and it can't be. Reporting the future as if it's certain is fake news.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Talking about equivocation and conflation, this collage of recent warming news ineluctably draws the enquiring mind to wonder what the writers mean by "average"...

Warming-faster.jpg